John,
Thanks for changing the subject line!

I'm well aware of hypostatic abstraction and I have given a lot of thought to its position in the overall philosophy of CSP. Which is the context for both EG's and his logical graphs in a more general sense.

In a certain narrow sense hypostatic abstraction may be seen as (just a) distinction between verb forms and noun forms. But the relation between hypothesis and hypostasis is more complicated, as I assume you are well aware.

Your example (opium) seems somewhat simplistic and misleading. (Of course it is difficult to express one' ideas in short mails like these!)

In any experiment in the strict and narrow sense, a hypothesis in absolutely needed. Further, a hypothesis must initially present a certain kind of question. Only questions which imply a YES or NO answer will do. The next step (next act) is to transform the question into an assertion. Which is then experimentally tested.

In order to perform a scientific experiment, there must be statements (verbal ones) on some existent entities taken together with reasons to believe that one/some/all other entitities will be affected in certain ways. (Thus presenting some kind of regular relation(s). )

If it were just stated "Opium – sleep", then it is asserted that there is (a well known substance) opium which is somehow related to (a well known) state of mind called sleep. (The expression is commonly called elliptic).

Now, this (elliptic) expression does not state what kind this asserted relation is. (In English the word "sleep" as such does not by itself reveal whether it is used as a noun or a verb. In Finnish, which is verb dominated language , like (old) Latin and Greek were in this respect. )

To my mind Molière (and Peirce) ridiculed just as well the kinds of answers commonly offered and generally accepted to WHY – questions.

My claim is that this is a cultural issue, not a scientific one. Peirce made great efforts to transform such (unconscious) habits of thought into philosophically and experimentally relevant and interesting ones. (Unfortunately my studies on Cultural Paradigms and their relation to sciences are published only in Finnish. Still, I can share thoughts based on these investigations of mine. (In the hope that they are not just exploited, but give credit, too)

Existential quantifiers, theory of probabilities etc.were a part of this work by CSP. Just as were logical graphs.
-----
JFS: " …Peirce said that the act of replacing the verb to noun leads to a hypothesis (hypostatic abstraction) that there exists something that causes sleep. That hypothesis led chemists to discover morphine as the substance with dormitive virtue. "
----

Is this a summary interpretation? Or did CSP truly write so? - Either there is irony in the statement, or something is wrong. Or are you using the verb "to discover" in the sense of "leaning how to make in a laboratory a synthetic substance with the same kinds of effects that opium, a natural product, was already known to possess" ?

"Opium facit dormire", opium makes people (and animals) sleep was a well know fact for ages before CSP. – The "WHY" question, on the other hand, is still not resolved. A chemical formula does not answer the question to the full, because there are living beings involved. As expressed by the word "sleep".

To heap of new questions still unanswered, belongs e.g.: Why do some people need opioids to get any sleep? Why do not they spontaneously fall asleep, as even babies are able to do so?

'It is because they are addicted', won't do. 'Before' and 'after' get confused in those kinds of answers.

In experiments, even thought experiments, like actually doing EG's , time is essentially involved. Before – after. Even the logical form celebrated by CSP: If – then, involves time.

You take up Chinese in a way which makes me assume you mainly know Chinese in its present, mechanized and computerized form. Which tends to hide from view the true nature of Chinese as a language, worth clearing up in more detail.

It does not consist of "words" in the Western sense. Our categories of nouns, verbs and adjectives just does not apply. Written Chinese consists of concepts, not only presented in certain successions, but also painted by hand with a brush IN A CERTAIN TRADITIONAL ORDER.

The order of strokes brings in meaning, stroke by stroke. So Chinese marks resembl a theory, more than anything else. Then the "little theories" are presented in a certain order, which sheads ligth on the meaning of the whole. (The meaning of the whole gets transformed as long as the writing in question goes on.)

In Japanese, there are two kinds of notations for writing down one's voiced thoughts. One like in Chinese, another one like our Western habits of writing down our thoughts.

Wittgenstein devoted his later work on traps our language games lure us into. He was bilingual. But, being an engineer by education, his education must have been not so good in humanities. (Having read a lot there is biographicly, I have no reasons to think otherwise. Pleased to get informed if I am mistaken.)

By now handwriting has become as good as obsolete, to my mind for the detriment of all humankind. Writing down with ink makes it hard to forget that writing down proceeds in an orderly manner, forwards. – With computers no sense of effort accompanies making changes.

Still, expressing one's thoughts in sentences, or graphs etc. does presents a hypostasis. We ourselves become able to take a critical look on what we (or others) have taken to present a good formulation for a thought.

But no thought gets ever a perfect formulation, a perfect presentation. Not even poems. All thougths have contexts. All questions have presuppositions, also some hidden ones. All answers making sense AS answers to those particular questions depend on the hidden presumptions.

In order to formulate a good hypothesis, hypostasis (i.e. writing down proponents for a good hypothesis) is definitely needed. But just as transient formulations to be critically inspected.

The dozens of empirical investigations I have been tutoring for academic degrees by my students, have shown how much time and effort is needed just in order to proceed from a theme to study into an explicit question which is a) well-grounded on earlier research, b) which is expressed in consistent theoretical concepts derived from a sound theory, c) which may be studied and offered something new by the methods selected, and d) elaboration of the methods and proceedings demaded by the investigation in all practical details, and e) methods of dealing with the kinds of outcomes from the investigation (which may be figures presenting resuls of measurements, the so called "raw data", or they may be recorded interviews or whatever).

All these must be provisionally fixed in a sensible and rational manner before proceeding. It does not matter whether a so called "quantitative" or a "qualitative" investigation is under study. A systematic method of interpretation is needed in both cases.

In Natural Sciences it is commonplace to boast that this is all completely "objective".

Well, it is not. – All scientists designing the experiments as well as interpreting the results are human beings, thus may err. Even collectively, for considerable time (as history of science has shown).

The experimental studies relying on statistical significance testing have been shown (by expert statisticians) to make erronius inferences quite commonly. (Some of them have been joking about these errors.)

One of the most common mistakes is to presume that if the statistical test shows no statistical difference between zero hypothesis (claiming no effect) and the experimental hypothesis (claiming a systematic effect), then the zero effect would get some confirmation. – This just is not the case. The very concept of statistical probability has just got confused with something else. – Peirce has a lot to teach in this respect.

To prove that (at least) one x exists, is to prove a possibility. To prove that some (or many or plenty) x exists, means to take the question into the realm of probabilities. To attempt to prove that with all possible x, y is also the case, takes the question into the realms of laws.

Well, then. There are many kinds of laws. If we believe CSP, all laws involve some spontaneity and chance. – The case of logical laws has not been thoroughly examined in this respect.

Kirsti