Franklin, Gary f, list,

You may be correct as most references to 'meliorism' I found were to James
or Dewey.

Although I wouldn't make too much of it, Mats Bergman wrote a paper,
"Improving Our Habits: Peirce and Meliorism," in which he includes a
definition of 'meliorism' from the Century Dictionary which, he believes,
may be by Peirce.

(1) “[the] improvement of society by regulated practical means: opposed to
the passive principle of both pessimism and optimism”; or (2) “[the]
doctrine that the world is neither the worst nor the best possible, but
that it is capable of improvement: a mean between theoretical pessimism and
optimism”
http://www.helsinki.fi/peirce/MC/papers/Bergman%20-%20Peirce%20and%20Meliorism.pdf

In a footnote he remarks that Francoise Latraverse suggested to that the
second definition especially seems altogether Peircean.

I'm not sure where I got my sense that meliorism was a Peircean concept as
searches of the CP, EP, etc. have not yielded any instances of the word. I
haven't read much James, I must admit, but at one point I was reading a
great deal of Dewey and may have gotten the notion from him

Be that as it may, I think that there is a great deal in Peirce which is
compatible with an attitude and philosophy of meliorism, that, for example,
wherever it is up to us to put our shoulder to some task towards improving
our human lot that we ought do that.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]