}Gary R, List

        Thank you - A really excellent letter - Sets us all up for the New
Year.

        First - I concur with the caution about Morris, who provided in my
view, a simple mechanical outline of metaphoric signification. Rather
similar to the Saussurian frame where 'this' stands for 'that'.
Nothing at all to do with the Peircean analysis which is, as Gary R
points out, a dynamic perspective about the evolution of
consciousness....or, as I'd prefer...the evolution of Mind [for Mind
is not always 'conscious'.].

        I consider that the Sign [capital S] is an irreducible triad and
thus, confining its definition to ONE relation, that between the
Representamen and the Dynamic Object - which can be termed: Iconic;
Indexical; Symbolic....misses the vital other actions of the triad;
namely, that of the Representamen [qualisign, sinsign, legisign] and
the actions between the Representamen and the Interpretant [ rheme,
dicent, argument]. The Peircean Sign cannot be reduced to any of its
so-called 'parts'.

        This triad is the infrastructure of an existential morphology, which
means that one can examine semiosis within the biological and
physico-chemical realm and not simply in the conceptual realm. So, a
cell IS a Sign [capital S] in itself, operating within that triad as
a morphological entity,  interacting with other cells [Signs] - each
as an agential expression of Mind.

        That's where, I think, the pragmaticism of Peirce becomes vital -
for it can show how these morphological entities network with, inform
each other, communicate with each other - and how each affects the
other. We are now acknowledging that plants communicate with other
plants; we acknowledge how each evolves with and adapts to the other.
Mind is not static.....The same thing can be seen in the larger
morphologies such as societies, which are huge populations operating
as massive organisms.

        So- even though many on this list are not involved in these areas, I
hope that in the New Year, we can consider some aspects of them.

        All the best for the New Year

        Edwina Taborsky
 On Sat 30/12/17 10:02 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Peter, Jeff, list,
 Peter, I too found the various viewpoints expressed in this thread
interesting and, taken as a whole, valuable in ways which may go
beyond your initial question. In any case, the discussion certainly
in no way disappointed me either.
 By the way, Peter, I do not believe that I am alone in suggesting
that Morris' "pragmatics" rather fully distorts Peirce's pragmatism
and has led to considerable misunderstanding as to what Peirce's
views actually were. Continuing, Jeff wrote:
 JD: Peirce provides the resources needed for understanding how a
contemporary Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, etc. might be
able to engage in fruitful conversation about the nativity scene with
the aim of seeking to better understand their differing experiences
and perspectives on the world.
 I agree, and would be interested in what other Peircean resources,
along with the ones you just pointed to (or at least hinted at) you
and others might imagine contributing to efforts towards bridging the
communication gap currently prominent not only in religion, art and
literary criticism, but in many other fields as well.
 One resource which I believe might be productively mined and
developed in consideration of this pursuit of increased intra- and
inter-disciplinary communication is succinctly adumbrated in the
quote in my last post.
 Methodeutic  or philosophical rhetoric . . . studies the principles
that relate signs to each other and to the world: ​​
 If Peircean philosophical rhetoric (which includes not only
pragmatism, but what some have seen as the basis for a complete
theory of inquiry) can indeed better show how "signs relate to each
other and to the world," it might be the quintessential branch of
logic as semeiotic possibly contributing means for improving
inter-disciplinary communication and communication generally. For as
Peirce continues:
 ​"[Philosophical rhetoric's] task is to ascertain the laws by
which in every scientific intelligence one sign gives birth to
another, and especially one thought brings forth another" (CP 2.229).

 Peirce explains that by "scientific intelligence" he means "one
capable of learning." Better understanding this branch of semeiotics
having the potential for contributing to "the growth of learning"
through, especially as you wrote, Jeff, "fruitful conversation. . .
with the aim of seeking to better understand. . . differing
experience"  might prove to be invaluable in this pursuit of
improving communication.
 And, again, since Peirce defines a "scientific intelligence" as one
"capable of learning," and since as biosemiotics and related fields
have made amply clear, biological organisms, being most certainly
"capable of learning," then work in those fields (including complex
adaptive systems as well as such fields as social systems research,
etc.) might all contribute to this great goal of improving
communication, perhaps contributing to (dare I say?) what Peirce
called the last 'field' where evolution is still active, namely  the
evolution of consciousness.
 Ah, well, no doubt an all too ambitious goal (most certainly for
this list to take up alone!), but in no way a utopian one, at least
not in my view. In any event, and towards the new year, to paraphrase
Robert Browning, our human reach should exceed our grasp.
 Best,
 Gary R
 Gary RichmondPhilosophy and Critical Thinking Communication
StudiesLaGuardia College of the City University of New York718
482-5690