John,

 

Yes, I’m relieved that we’ve put the debate over “polyversity” behind us.

 

As to your recommendations, all I can say is that I’ve already implemented 
them, though probably not in the way you would. But you’d have to read the 
whole essay (20 chapters) to see how the various factors you mention are 
integrated with the rest of the book. And one of the things I came to realize 
toward the end of the 15-year process of researching and writing it is that I 
can’t realistically expect more than a handful of people to actually read it. 
It’s too broad and eclectic to interest specialists in the various fields I’ve 
drawn information from, and it’s too challenging and academic (and long) for 
casual readers. More generally, people don’t read this kind of book any more, 
either in print or on the Net — at least, not with the kind of attention I give 
to reading Peirce — because such things are swept away in the flood of modern 
and postmodern media.

 

So in my blog and my Peirce-l posts, I’ve gone back to very short forms, though 
still trying to point toward certain realizations that came to me through that 
15-year voyage of discovery, and still hyperlinking to the larger context of 
Turning Signs in case someone might follow the links. I’m grateful to life for 
such a learning opportunity, and I can only hope that others with a 
philosophical bent will embark on such voyages of their own, undeterred by the 
unlikelihood that anybody will read the finished product. As Ursula Le Guin 
wrote, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that 
matters, in the end.”

 

Gary f.

 

-----Original Message-----
From: John F Sowa [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: 15-Jan-18 16:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] definitions and ethics of terminology

 

Gary,

 

We have both wasted too much time in debating the word polyversity.

I did read your chapter, and I'll make a recommendation.  But you, as the 
author, are free to accept or reject my comments as you please.  I promise that 
I won't complain one way or the other.

 

> no part of my definition of “polyversity” was intended for use by 

> specialists in linguistics...

 

Perhaps, but you did cite Talmy.  And I thank you for doing so.

I bought his two volumes shortly after they were published (2003) and read 
some, but not all of his 1000+ pages.  Your comments led me to review his 
examples of conceptual alternativity and his ideas of using different "windows" 
to focus attention on different aspects of a scene.

 

When I first read that, I wasn't thinking of Peirce's categories.

But I now realize that the mechanism of windowing is related to Peirce's triad 
of Mark, Token, Type.  Any scene, by itself, has an open-ended variety of 
potential marks.  A window consists of a pattern or structure of related types. 
 By applying a window to a scene, the viewer interprets a subset of marks as a 
structure of tokens that correspond to the pattern of types in the window.

Different windows correspond to different ways of interpreting and talking 
about a scene.

 

My recommendation (which you may reject as you please) is to combine Peirce's 
categories with Talmy's cognitive-linguistic analyses.

It's not necessary to go into all the linguistic detail of Talmy's two volumes. 
 But Peirce was a master at combining multidisciplinary methods.  I believe 
that he would approve of some such application of his categories.

 

John

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to