Stephen, list,

Stephen wrote: "I would say that when psychology functions triadically it
has made strides in the direction of logic."

I would instead say that the *explication* of the essential triadic nature
of logic in the *theoretical* science of *logic as semeiotic* has the
potential of being a stimulant towards the development of fresh approaches
to research in psychology, at least for those who have studied it and so
can see its possible value. Unfortunately, I would imagine that there are
few such researchers. Michael Shapiro has noted this paucity of students of
Peircean semiotic in a number of fields, for example in his own field,
linguistics, although he personally keeps trying to "spread the word" that
semeiotics could play a significant role in its further development.

But it is important to understand that while logic as semeiotic *is *a
cenoscopic (philosophic) science in Discovery Science, psychology is not.
Rather, it's a science further down in his classification, an idioscopic
(special) science but, for Peirce, still a *discovery* (theoretical, pure
research) science.

However, I think that what you're actually suggesting in your note refers
to a science* not *in discovery science, namely, psychology as a *practical,
or* *applied* science (which Peirce only rarely, if ever, mentions). While
I've taken a few graduate level courses in personality theory, etc., I must
admit that I don't know much about that discipline as it's practiced today.
Still, I would guess that there are even fewer practitioners in practical
psychology who apply Peirce's triadic logic to it than there are in
idioscopic psychology or linguistics.

As you've noted in the past, your own "triadic philosophy" is not
essentially Peircean (and I agree that for the most part that it is
not--while I hasten to add that I have found some philosophical gems among
your aphorisms), such that, for example, your remark quoted at the top of
this message has it backwards from a Peircean standpoint. For Peirce,
discoveries in pure theoretical logic as semeiotic would certainly have
direct applications to idioscopic (special) psychology and practical logic;
and so, it would seem to follow that applications of *those* discoveries
and developments in special psychology and practical logic might well help
improve the practice of applied psychology (but probably not vice versa).

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*