Gary f, list,

You quoted Peirce:

The answers to these questions do not come of themselves. They require the
most laborious study, the most careful and exact examination. The system of
questions does not save that trouble in the least degree. It enormously
increases it by multiplying the questions that are suggested. But it forces
us along step by step to much clearer conceptions of the objects of logic
than have ever been attained before. The *hard fact* that it has yielded
such fruit is the principal argument in its favor.

Then asked:

Gf: Why should we take the trouble to engage in the “most laborious study”
required to answer these endless questions? Because, according to Peirce, “it
forces us along step by step to much clearer conceptions of the objects of
logic than have ever been attained before. The *hard fact* that it has
yielded such fruit is the principal argument in its favor.”

Is that really a *hard fact*? Or is it merely Peirce’s opinion that the
conceptions attained in this way are so much clearer than any attained
before? Can it be a *hard fact* — the epitome of Secondness, as described
by Peirce earlier — that one conception is clearer than another? If so,
what does that tell us about the nature of “hard facts”?

Perhaps I am reading this passage somewhat differently from you. It seems
to me that the *hard fact *to which Peirce is referring may be his own
sense that, having made this minute analysis, engaged in this "most
laborious study," that he has *himself* been able to achieve "much clearer
conceptions of the objects of logic than have ever been attained before."

In my opinion, this is in fact (in "hard fact"?) his achievement, perhaps
especially in logic (although in my opinion his achievement in
phenomenology hasn't yet even begun to be fully comprehended let alone
developed).

So, my question: Is Peirce here reflecting on his own phenomenological and
logical achievements as he himself sees them? If so, the "hard fact" is
just a manner of speaking and hasn't necessarily much to do with
phenomenological 2ns at all.

Similarly is he informally using the "singular us" (e.g. "Can you give us
[i.e., 'me'] a hand fellows?") in writing "it forces us along step by step
to much clearer conceptions. . ." to refer to his own disciplined efforts
over nearly a lifetime?

Who else would have (could have! and even to this day) made the minute, in
depth, expansive phenomenological and logical inquiries Peirce made? Peirce
frequently invites his reader (or listener in lectures) to herself do what
he himself has done, a kind of replicating the experiment (or experience).
But who would be willing to engage in such extraordinarily minute logical
investigations today?

And who else could have attained the extraordinary achievements in logic
which he did through these minute methods, for prime example, more or less
single-handedly inventing modern triadic semeiotic (or, as I like to think
of it, trichotomic semeiotic, as involving the categories at almost every
stage of his semeiotic analysis)?

But, this is just a quick guess;  and there may be more to these passages
than I've suggested here involving, as you've suggested, phenomenological
2ns.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]