}Jon - yes, that's correct. To me, the Representamen is internal to
an agent. It has the function of mediating between the external set
of sensate data of the Dynamic Object...which is received by this
Agent as the Immediate Object. The Representamen then mediates, using
its knowledge base/habits..and transforms this data into an
interpretation of it: the various Interpretants.

        So to me, both the loud sound and the typed word are, as external
stimuli - they are both Dynamic Objects.

        The bird's neural pattern and my thoughts about the word 'vase' are
both habits: therefore, they rest within/as the Representamen.

        Edwina
 On Tue 06/02/18  3:14 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 We may never be able to reconcile our different approaches, but at
least the root of our disagreement seems to be coming into sharper
focus.  My current understanding is that for you the Representamen is
always (by definition) internal to an agent of some kind, while I
believe that it can be either external (like the loud sound and the
typed word "vase") or internal (like the bird's neural pattern and
your thought-Signs about the word "vase").  Perhaps this is where we
can begin to address Dan's valid question about "practical/empirical
consequences."
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]