}Jon - even a Dicent Indexical Sinsign functions in a triad - that
infamous weathervane...which is an interaction between two subjects.

        And for dyadic actions to take place, the two agents in brute
interaction are, in themselves, triads [the wind, the wooden vane]

        So- I can do nothing about your confusion.

        Edwina
 On Sun 11/02/18 10:18 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 I continue to be confused by your latest comments.  From a purely
logical standpoint, "no Signs are things" entails "no things are
Signs," unless there is some sort of equivocation on the meaning of
"Signs" and/or "things."  You said that you agree with me that "a
sign is not a real thing" (EP 2:303), but subsequently said that "a
'thing' must also be a Sign."  Which is it?
 You also seem to be saying now that every interaction of one "thing"
with another "thing" is "always semiosic," and even that "all
interactions are semiosic."  I do not believe that this was Peirce's
view; in fact, he explicitly denied it in "Pragmatism," which I just
finished rereading.
 CSP:  All dynamical action, or action of brute force, physical or
psychical, either takes place between two subjects,--whether they
react equally upon each other, or one is agent and the other patient,
entirely or partially,--or at any rate is a resultant of such actions
between pairs. But by "semiosis" I mean, on the contrary, an action,
or influence, which is, or involves, a cooperation of  three
subjects, such as a sign, its object, and its interpretant, this
tri-relative influence not being in any way resolvable into actions
between pairs. (EP 2:411; 1907)
 Besides semiosic (triadic) action, which is not "resolvable into
actions between pairs," there is also brute dynamical (dyadic)
action, which is "resolvable into actions between pairs."  Do you
deny the existence of the latter?  On the contrary, Peirce seems to
have considered it to be the  defining characteristic of existence.
 CSP:  A brute force, as, for example, an existent particle, on the
other hand, is nothing for itself; whatever it is, it is for what it
is attracting and what it is repelling: its being is actual, consists
in action, is dyadic. That is what I call existence. (CP 6.343; 1907)
 From a cosmological standpoint, my guess is that this is what Peirce
meant when he described matter as "mind whose habits have become fixed
so as to lose the powers of forming them and losing them" (CP 1.601;
1902).  I wonder if this is precisely the difference between a
"thing" and a "Quasi-mind"; the latter must still have at least  some
capability for Habit-change, as all human minds obviously do.
 Thanks,
 Jon S.