Based on Peirce's writings about the concept of a *logical* Quasi-mind, I
proposed defining it as an *individual* Sign that is also a *complex *of
Signs, which are connected such that they are susceptible to determination
by *another *Sign to a *single *Interpretant.  In the post below--which may
have gotten lost in the shuffle over the last few days, hence this new
thread--I further posited that an *embodied metaphysical* Quasi-mind is an
individual substance possessing Collateral Experience and Habits of
Interpretation from determinations by *previous* Signs, as well as the
capacity for Habit-change from determinations by *subsequent* Signs.

Building on this, I would now like to suggest that a *Person* is an
embodied metaphysical Quasi-mind who additionally has a *center of
consciousness*, which provides a *unity of feeling* to coordinate the
corresponding continuity of reactions and bundle of habits (cf. CP
6.228-229; 1898).  This is what makes it possible to recognize the *Inner
World* and distinguish it from the *Outer World*.

CSP:  The ensemble of all habits about ideas of feeling constitutes one
great habit which is a World, and the ensemble of all habits about acts of
reaction constitutes a second great habit, which is another World. The
former is the Inner World, the world of Plato's forms. The other is the
Outer World, or universe of existence. (CP 4.157; c. 1897)

Peirce went on in that passage to identify clusters of ideas of feelings
with qualities, and clusters of reactions with Things.  He further noted
that human languages accordingly require two different kinds of words--one
to "denominate things" (proper names), and the other to "signify, or mean,
qualities" (verbs, adjectives, common nouns, etc.).

These obviously correspond to Matter and Form, respectively, as Peirce
defined them in EP 2:304 and NEM 4:292-300 (both 1904).  Unlike a "mere"
Quasi-mind, a Person can *intentionally* strive to *bring about*
Entelechy--the unity of Matter and Form, Truth as the conformity of a Sign
and its Interpretant to its Object--in one of two ways, depending on the
*purpose* in view.

CSP:  Of the two great tasks of humanity, *Theory *and *Practice*, the
former sets out from a sign of a real object with which it is *acquainted*,
passing from this, as its *matter*, to successive interpretants embodying
more and more fully its *form*, wishing ultimately to reach a direct
*perception *of the entelechy; while the latter, setting out from a sign
signifying a character of which it *has an idea*, passes from this, as its
*form*, to successive interpretants realizing more and more precisely its
*matter*, hoping ultimately to be able to make a direct *effort*, producing
the entelechy. (EP 2:304; 1904)

The feature of consciousness that makes this possible is *self-control*; cf.
CP 5.440-442, EP 2:347-348 (1905) and EP 2:418-419 (1907).  Theory is
*deliberate* semiosis proceeding from the Outer World to the Inner World,
in accordance with the normative science of *logic*.  Practice is
*deliberate *semiosis proceeding from the Inner World to the Outer World,
in accordance with the normative science of *ethics*.  Both are *deliberate*
pursuits of the *summum bonum*, the growth of concrete reasonableness, in
accordance with the normative science of *esthetics*.

Notice that Jeff Downard's example yesterday--in which the retroductive
inference that opium (Matter) has a dormative virtue (Form) prompts further
inquiry into the nature of that character (wishing to perceive
Entelechy)--fits nicely into Peirce's description of Theory here.

Regards,

Jon S.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>