Gene, Edwina, Kirsti,  list

Gene wrote:

EH: Regarding the potential for catastrophe, Gary R. stated, “that you
would, however, find it difficult to find in Peirce very much support for
your thesis.”

The potential for catastrophe (regarding which I fully agree with you) was
not the 'thesis' that I said you would "find it difficult to find In Peirce
very much support." Re: "catastrophe" I fully agree with you since
quotations we've both offered make Peirce's view of that quite clear, for
example, his writing in 'Evolutionary Love' "The twentieth century, in its
latter half, shall surely see the deluge-tempest burst upon the social
order -- to clear upon a world as deep in ruin as that greed-philosophy has
long plunged it into guilt." Indeed the "deluge-tempest" didn't even take
as long as Peirce thought it would as the First World War broke out just a
few months following his death. The rest of the horror of that century and
the continued horror in this century, both brought about by the crazed
greed and power seeking of a few men is, in my view, virtually self-evident.

What I didn't agree with was your assertion that "The greed, power, and
especially crypto-religious reverence for deus-ex-machina goals are not
simply external to actually existing science and technology, but are
essential features of the system." I have already given my reasons for
disagreeing with you on that thesis so I won't repeat them now; and I
assume that we are still in disagreement on this matter even while you've
offered additional examples of "corruption within science itself." There is
not an actual or even, I think, conceivable institution where one won't
find corrupt men and women (mainly men). I also agree with Edwina that
Peirce was entirely and explicitly opposed to Social Darwinism.

In addition, your impugning of Peirce's character seems to me over the top.
You wrote:

EH: Peirce’s criticism of the greed philosophy, including a reference to
how he was swindled, did not seem to apply to workers. In fact, his
criticism of the philosophy of greed rings hypocritical when some of his
other comments are taken into account, which read as similar to those of
Carnegie.

You will have to offer much more evidence if I'm to believe that Peirce's
character and Carnegie's were "similar," that Peirce was "hypocritical" in
his condemnation of the Gospel of Greed.

And you draw some extraordinarily conclusions from a few facts and a single
comment to Lady Welby by Peirce, while your question as to what side of the
civil war Peirce would place himself based on his father's views is bogus.
May none of our characters be judged on the basis of the views of our
parents. You wrote:

EH: As Peirce wrote to Lady Welby: “The people ought to be enslaved; only
the slaveholders ought to practice the virtues that alone can maintain
their rule.”  (*Semiotics and Significs, *edited by Charles S. Hardwick
(Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1977), p. 78). Given that
Peirce lived through the American civil war (not fighting in it), and that
his father Benjamin had been pro-slavery before the war, Charles’s advocacy
of a “virtuous” slaveholding elite strikes me as repugnant and puerile.

Can you guess what side of the slaveholder/enslaved divide Peirce would put
himself on?

I do not take Peirce's comments about "the people" (not, btw, the African
people held as slaves in America) literally. He is writing to a, I
believe *relatively
*liberal, friend in England, a woman whom he's gotten to know well through
letters, one who will know that this is not to be taken literally (as you
clearly have). I find his comment (in context) more along the lines of
Jasper, very skeptical of majoritarian democracy, famously arguing for a
form of government guided by "an intellectual elite." There is just too
much else in Peirce suggesting that he upholds the ethics of the Gospel of
Love, including, for an example recently discussed on the list, his support
for Abbot against the unfair criticism of his work by Royce.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*