Dear list,

It is, then, in the nature of the good man to do injustice voluntarily, and
of the bad man to do it involuntarily, that is, if the good man has a good
soul.

Then he who voluntarily errs and does disgraceful and unjust acts, Hippias,
if there be such a man, would be no other than the good man.

Writings are naturally accessible to all who can read. Therefore a
philosopher who chose the second way could expound only such opinions as
were suitable for the nonphilosophic majority: all of his writings would
have to be, strictly speaking, exoteric.

These opinions would not be in all respects consonant with truth. Being a
philosopher, that is, hating "the lie in the soul" more than anything else,
he would not deceive himself about the fact that such opinions are merely
"likely tales," or "noble lies," or "probable opinions," and would leave it
to his philosophic readers to disentangle the truth from its poetic or
dialectic presentation. But he would defeat his purpose if he indicated
clearly which of his statements expressed a noble lie, and which the still
more noble truth.

What, then, is our *ultimate aim*?

Best,

Jerry R