List,

In a separate discussion, Gary F has suggested that the concept of the 
immediate object "was born in 1904 when Peirce was motivated to distinguish 
between two kinds of objects. For me, understanding what motivated that 
distinction, in the context of a taxonomy of signs, and what motivated further 
refinements of the notion (especially in 1907 in the context of pragmatism), is 
the very essence of understanding what the term means. It’s a matter of fact 
that Peirce wrote some things about it in 1904 and other things in 1907. I have 
no motivation to devise a definition of the term that will subordinate those 
facts to a monolithic overview of “Peircean semiotic” that will present it as a 
finished product. To me, it never was and never will be a finished product — in 
this respect it resembles Peirce’s “perfect sign” (and not incidentally, my own 
Turning Signs)."


In response, I don't think the concept was born at that time. Rather, Peirce 
framed a way of using a set of distinctions between immediate and dynamical 
objects, and between three sorts of interpretants some time around 1904 for the 
sake of supplying a more refined classification of signs based on the character 
of each and the relations that obtain between them. In doing, so, he continued 
to refine the terminology he was employing for the different classes of signs 
based on these distinctions and to develop some new hypotheses about their 
character, but it goes too far to say the concept of the immediate object was 
born at this time. Instead, I believe that Peirce used that concept in central 
arguments from early on--as is clear from his published work in "Questions" and 
"Consequences."


Here is what he says in "Questions Concerning Certain Faculties Claimed for 
Man":


5.241. In the first place, then, the difference between what is imagined or 
dreamed and what is actually experienced, is no argument in favor of the 
existence of such a faculty. For it is not questioned that there are 
distinctions in what is present to the mind, but the question is, whether 
independently of any such distinctions in the immediate objects of 
consciousness, we have any immediate power of distinguishing different modes of 
consciousness. Now, the very fact of the immense difference in the immediate 
objects of sense and imagination, sufficiently accounts for our distinguishing 
those faculties; and instead of being an argument in favor of the existence of 
an intuitive power of distinguishing the subjective elements of consciousness, 
it is a powerful reply to any such argument, so far as the distinction of sense 
and imagination is concerned.


And in Consequences, he draws out some of the implications:


5.286. (3) The thought-sign stands for its object in the respect which is 
thought; that is to say, this respect is the immediate object of consciousness 
in the thought, or, in other words, it is the thought itself, or at least what 
the thought is thought to be in the subsequent thought to which it is a sign.

This looks to me like the concept of an immediate object that is entirely 
continuous with the conception in his later writings. While I admit that he is 
refining his account of this conception and exploring various ways of 
understanding and using it, I think it is pretty much the same concept as 
before. Note that in "Consequences", he is not simply talking about an 
immediate object of consciousness. Rather, he is drawing out the consequences 
of his earlier hypotheses and characterize an immediate object that is part of 
sign--and it is represented in that sign in relation to a further interpretant. 
As such, I think that a natural reading of this passage is that the immediate 
object of a sign is (1) a part of a sign of the real object that determined the 
sign and (2) it is part of that sign in relation to a further interpretant that 
interprets it to be part of the sign and to stand in a relation to the real 
object.

--Jeff



Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Northern Arizona University
(o) 928 523-8354
________________________________
From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 7:14:36 AM
To: 'Jon Alan Schmidt'; 'Gary Richmond'
Cc: Jeffrey Brian Downard; 'Terry Moore'
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] R1467

Jon et al.,
I don’t have any useful feedback to offer on your definitions, Jon, and I’ll 
try to explain why, although the more personal reasons will mostly elude my 
explanation.
First, regarding the Bellucci book (which I’ve now read except for the last 
chapter): both Jeff and Jon see a lack of logical order in it, which for them 
is a defect. For me, on the other hand, it’s an advantage. Or at least the 
chronological order of the book, combined with its thoroughness, is its 
greatest virtue, for me. Bellucci simply starts with Peirce’s remarks about 
signs in 1865, considered in their logical (and mostly Kantian) background, and 
follows the development of Peirce’s speculative grammar right up to the end of 
his life, following all the innovations and twists and turns and modifications 
and refinements and sometimes reversals that it went through. For me this is 
ideal because it enables me to follow Peirce’s argument as it developed, one 
text at a time. And I’ve always felt that I learn more from following Peirce’s 
thought process than I have from trying to summarize it or select key points 
and rearrange them into a neatly logical package — although I certainly did try 
to do that, until quite recently.
For instance, take the case of the immediate object. This concept was born in 
1904 when Peirce was motivated to distinguish between two kinds of objects. For 
me, understanding what motivated that distinction, in the context of a taxonomy 
of signs, and what motivated further refinements of the notion (especially in 
1907 in the context of pragmatism), is the very essence of understanding what 
the term means. It’s a matter of fact that Peirce wrote some things about it in 
1904 and other things in 1907. I have no motivation to devise a definition of 
the term that will subordinate those facts to a monolithic overview of 
“Peircean semiotic” that will present it as a finished product. To me, it never 
was and never will be a finished product — in this respect it resembles 
Peirce’s “perfect sign” (and not incidentally, my own Turning Signs).
Jon, when you posted a collection of direct (and dated) quotes from Peirce 
about the “perfect sign,” or about “quasi-mind”, I appreciated that. But the 
more you added in the way of explanation and/or summary, the more I felt that 
the concepts were being obscured or distorted rather than clarified. So I 
raised some objections on the list, to which you responded quite cogently. But 
now I don’t even feel motivated to post either objections or agreements as they 
occur to me. All I want to do is follow what Peirce said with a better 
understanding of why he said it when he said it. I think of him as an inquiring 
mind who picked up the phenomenon of semiosis, observed it from various angles 
and recorded his observations, and that is the process I want to participate in 
— with my full attention not on Peirce but on the phenomenon he was examining 
at the time. I’ve found Bellucci’s book perfectly suited to that process.
I don’t mean to suggest that there’s anything wrong with the project you’re 
engaged in, Jon (or Gary’s or Jeff’s). It’s a project that you are well 
motivated to carry forward and I’m not, that’s all — partly because I lack the 
energy and partly for personal reasons irrelevant to this discussion. I have 
every confidence that you will carry it forward to results that will continue 
to be beneficial to Peirce scholarship. By the way, I’ve been extremely annoyed 
by the posters to peirce-l who seem to be proud of their lack of interest in 
your project, while they blather on ad nauseam about their own bleary-eyed 
impressions of Peirce. (The number of subscribers whose posts I delete unread 
has risen lately to 6 or 7, and even your responses to them I skim pretty fast, 
so I may be missing some of your good ideas because of that. My patience seems 
to be in short supply these days, at least with email.)
Anyway, rather than blather on myself, I should get back to my transcription 
work, to finishing the last chapter of Bellucci’s book, and to a couple of 
projects that I haven’t mentioned here. In the meantime I’ll be perusing any 
mail I get from any of you, but don’t be discouraged if I don’t respond. 
Sometimes I just have nothing worth saying.
Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected]>
Sent: 15-Mar-18 22:02
To: Gary Richmond <[email protected]>
Cc: Jeffrey Brian Downard <[email protected]>; Gary Fuhrman 
<[email protected]>; Terry Moore <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] R1467

All:
I wonder if the new (and still tentative) definitions that I have been 
considering for the semiotic Correlates, formulated in accordance with what I 
have recently been calling the metaphysics of semiosis, might offer some food 
for thought in this context.  In any case, I would welcome your feedback on 
them, since I have not yet posted them on the List.

  *   The Dynamic Object is the Matter that the Sign denotes.
  *   The Immediate Object is the Form that the Sign signifies.
  *   The Immediate Interpretant is the Form that the Sign communicates.
  *   The Dynamic Interpretant is the Matter that the Sign determines.
  *   The Final Interpretant is the Entelechy that the Sign intends, which is 
the unity of Matter (DI) and Form (II).
Ripples in a lake and shadows on the ground result from "the determination of 
Matter by Form, and the blind reaction of Matter with Matter" (NEM 4:297; 
1904); i.e., dyadic dynamical action among Things.  However, such behaviors are 
governed by the Real (and inveterate) habits of the Matter that render it 
intelligible, such that the Form--at least to some partial extent--is capable 
of being apprehended by an interpreting Quasi-mind.

It is only when this occurs in a concrete instance that the Matter becomes a 
Dynamic Object, the Form becomes an Immediate Object, and the ripples or 
shadows become a (natural) Sign--or more accurately, a Replica of a Sign.  
After all, "a sign has its being in the power to bring about a determination of 
a Matter to a Form, not in an act of bringing it about ... [because] there is 
no such act" (NEM 4:300; 1904); and a Sign "cannot actually act as a sign until 
it is embodied; but the embodiment has nothing to do with its character as a 
sign" (EP 2:291; 1903).

In this respect, there is no sharp distinction between thought-Signs (and other 
Symbols), material Indices, and Icons--all Signs are "of such a nature as to 
exist [only] in replicas" (EP 2:303; 1904).  Hence we must be careful not to 
conflate the embodiment of a Sign, whether natural or genuine, with the Sign 
itself.  Every Sign has a Dynamic Object, an Immediate Object, and the capacity 
to produce Interpretants; these are jointly constitutive of what it means to be 
a Sign at all.

Regards,

Jon S.

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to