From: Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: 29-Mar-18 16:13
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Nature and Division of Signs (was Three Interpretants)

Gary F., List:

What I am suggesting is that all Signs are Real in themselves, but only exist
in Replicas.  A Sign is an inexhaustible continuum of potential Replicas, and a
Replica is an individual instantiation of a Sign--as I have said before,
analogous to the relation between a line and a point, and the semiotic
counterpart of a law of nature as a Real general that governs the behavior of
actual Things.  Revisiting the 1903 terminology, all Signs are Legisigns, all
Replicas are Sinsigns--but of a peculiar kind, such that they can still be
Necessitant in subsequent trichotomies--and there are no Qualisigns at all,
since a quality in itself cannot represent anything other than itself.

As an example, in 1908 Peirce classified "beauty" as an Abstractive (EP 2:480)
because its Dynamic Object is a quality, even though as a word it is obviously
not a Qualisign.  I am positing that the Mode of Being of this Sign is
Necessitant, as it must be for every Sign, and the Mode of Being of each of its
Replicas is Existent, as it must be for every Replica.  However, its Mode of
Apprehension or Presentation is Possible, such that it is a Tone; i.e., it
appears in the Phaneron as a quality, rather than as reaction (Token) or
mediation (Type).  This entails that it must also be an Icon, perhaps in the
sense that we colloquially describe as "knowing it when you see it."  This
analysis is admittedly a first attempt on my part, and presumably needs further
working out.

Thanks,

Jon S.