}JAS, list:

        1] Your argument may be logically valid as a basic syllogism but its
premises could be false. The problem is: the terms: God, Real - are
vague and therefore, can mean anything that one subjectively wishes.

        2] Yes - I suggest that one can say "I believe in god' and yet, deny
god's reality - since the terms are vague [god, reality]..Furthermore,
such vague beliefs are, in themselves, without anything other than
emotional meaning and strictly personal and subjective.

        3] Peirce denies God as the Creator - instead, his complex semiosis
means that matter is always being created, Mind-as-Matter.

        Edwina
 On Mon 14/05/18  4:41 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina:
 This is one of two posts that I am sending more or less
simultaneously; please read the other one first.
 Here is the only formal argument that I offered below; note that it
is deductively valid.
 Someone who believes that God is Real is a theist.Peirce believed
that God is Real.Therefore, Peirce was a theist.
 Since you deny the conclusion, which premise do you deny?  The first
is a straightforward definition, and the second is something that
Peirce explicitly affirmed.
 1.  Are you seriously suggesting that someone can say, "I believe in
God," and yet deny that God is Real?  That strikes me as completely
incoherent.
 2.  Again, I stated quite plainly, " a theist is by definition
someone who believes in God."  Are you operating with some other
idiosyncratic definition of "theist"?
 3.  Peirce explicitly defined both "God" and "Real" at the beginning
of "A Neglected Argument," and plainly described God (so defined) as
being " in my belief Really [so defined] creator of all three
Universes of Experience" (CP 6.452-453).  "Theistic God" is
redundant; what kind of God could possibly be "non-theistic"?  If
what you are really questioning is whether Peirce believed in a
personal God, then there is likewise no need to speculate.
 CSP:   The mere carrying out of predetermined purposes is
mechanical. This remark has an application to the philosophy of
religion. It is that a genuine evolutionary philosophy, that is, one
that makes the principle of growth a primordial element of the
universe, is so far from being antagonistic to the idea of a personal
creator that it is really inseparable from that idea; while a
necessitarian religion is in an altogether false position and is
destined to become disintegrated. But a pseudo-evolutionism which
enthrones mechanical law above the principle of growth is at once
scientifically unsatisfactory, as giving no possible hint of how the
universe has come about, and hostile to all hopes of personal
relations to God. (CP 6.157; 1892, emphasis added)
  CSP:  A difficulty which confronts the synechistic philosophy is
this. In considering personality, that philosophy [synechism] is
forced to accept the doctrine of a personal God; but in considering
communication, it cannot but admit that if there is a personal God,
we must have a direct perception of that person and indeed be in
personal communication with him. Now, if that be the case, the
question arises how it is possible that the existence of this being
should ever have been doubted by anybody. The only answer that I can
at present make is that facts that stand before our face and eyes and
stare us in the face are far from being, in all cases, the ones most
easily discerned. That has been remarked from time immemorial. (CP
6.162; 1892, emphasis added)
 CSP:  But when a person finds himself in the society of others, he
is just as sure of their existence as of his own, though he may
entertain a metaphysical theory that they are all hypostatically the
same ego. In like manner, when a man has that experience with which
religion sets out, he has as good reason--putting aside metaphysical
subtilties--to believe in the living personality of God as he has to
believe in his own . Indeed, belief is a word inappropriate to such
direct perception. (CP 6.436; 1893, emphasis added)
  4.  There has to be some common denominator that warrants
categorizing all theists as  theists; such is the nature of any
general term.  Peirce's point was that this common denominator is
necessarily vague, rather than definite.  Demanding "evidence of what
exactly a 'vague concept of God' specifically means" is
self-contradictory; "vague" is the  opposite of "exact" and
"specific."
 5.  The Five Ways are indeed deductively valid, but this merely
entails that their conclusions follow necessarily from their
premises.  Can you provide evidence that  all  Christians subscribe
to every single one  of those premises? On the contrary, I am a
Christian, but neither a Roman Catholic nor a Thomist; consequently,
while I certainly embrace  some of Aquinas's premises, I do not hold
to  all of them.
 Regards,
 Jon S.