Edwina, Helmut, List:

I could comment on what I consider to be several fundamental
misunderstandings throughout this exchange, but Gary R. already pointed out
a few of them; so instead, I will simply take the opportunity to illustrate
(and hopefully clarify further) why I am now advocating the notion of
a *General
*Object for every Sign (Type).

The word "dog" is a common noun, which makes it a *term *in traditional
logic, a *Rheme *in Peirce's 1903 taxonomy ("_____ is a dog"), and a *Seme *in
his later taxonomies.  As such, the Immediate Interpretant is its
*meaning *within
the Sign System of written English, and the Immediate Object is the *range *of
what a Replica of "dog" *possibly could *denote accordingly to someone with
mere Sign System Acquaintance, consisting entirely of *all *such
definitions and nothing else (Essential Knowledge).

The Dynamic Object is the *individual *that a Replica of "dog" *actually
does* denote to someone with previous Collateral Experience of dogs in a
single concrete Instance of the Sign, which is an *occurrence *that
produces a feeling, exertion, or other Sign-Instance as the Dynamic
Interpretant in accordance with *fallible *Interpretative Habits (Informed
Knowledge).  I agree with Edwina that this only (or at least primarily)
happens when the Replica of the term/Rheme/Seme is *involved* in a Replica
of a proposition/Dicisign/Pheme, such as "Buster is a dog," "Any dog is a
mammal," "This dog is a poodle," "Some dog is black," or even a child
simply pointing at a dog and saying "Dog!"

The General Object is the *collection *of all Real dogs, which is what the
Sign (Type) *necessarily would* denote in the final opinion at the end of
infinite inquiry by an infinite community, corresponding to the Final
Interpretant that *would be* produced in accordance with *infallible
*Interpretative
Habits (Substantial Knowledge).  I disagree with Edwina that this implies
Platonism, because--entirely consistent with Aristotelianism, specifically
Peirce's extreme scholastic realism--the General Object is a Reality that
only *exists* in its members, which are all *particular* dogs.  Likewise,
the Sign (Type) only *exists *in its Replicas; or more precisely, in its
Instances (Tokens).