John S., List:

JAS:  As Peirce put it later in the same manuscript, "mathematics is the
science which draws necessary conclusions," while logic is the (normative)
"science of drawing necessary [and other] conclusions" (CP 4.239; 1902).
JFS:  Those additions put words in Peirce's mouth.

Peirce said here that *deductive *logic is "the science of drawing
necessary conclusions," but he elsewhere (and repeatedly) also
recognized *inductive
*and *retroductive *logic as having their own validity, despite drawing
conclusions that are *not *necessary.  All three fall under Critic, the
middle branch of the Normative Science of Logic as Semeiotic; in fact, as I
quoted previously, Peirce stated explicitly *in the very next paragraph*
that logic "is a normative science" (CP 4.240; 1902).

JFS:  Since he wrote that classification in 1902, he probably wasn't as
careful about the his 1903 distinction between formal logic and normative
logic ... Since Peirce wrote this passage in 1902 -- before he classified
(non-formal) logic as a normative science -- he was talking about formal
logic.

Again, these statements are *directly falsified* by CP 4.240; for Peirce,
logic was already "a normative science" in 1902.

CSP:  The logician does not care particularly about this or that hypothesis
or its consequences, except so far as these things may throw a light upon
the nature of reasoning. (CP 4.239; 1902)
JFS:  That is the opposite of the normative logician, who cares very much
about hypotheses and their consequences.

That seems like a clear misreading of the quote.  In context, Peirce was
talking about *mathematical *hypotheses and their consequences, which need
not (and often do not) have any bearing on Reality whatsoever.
Mathematicians just want to derive those consequences as efficiently as
possible, but the *normative *logician studies "the nature of
reasoning"--i.e., "deliberate thinking"--in minute detail.