JAS, List,

As propositions the three sentences may be the same sign, but here clearly we
are arguing as logicians about terms and propositions. From a logical
perspective we can abstract from the apprehension of the sign as an object. Not
so if we treat the proposition semiotically as it functions in different
interpretation processes.

Accordingly, when I say that Existential Graphs put before us moving

pictures of thought, I mean of thought in its essence free from

physiological and other accidents. CP 4.8 1905

It is the purified view of the logician, exemplified by the above remark on the

Existential graphs, that enables Peirce to hold that:

It seems best to regard a sign as a determination of a quasi-mind;

for if we regard it as an outward object, and as addressing itself to

a human mind, that mind must _rst apprehend it as an object in

itself, and only after that consider it in its signi_cance; and the like

must happen if the sign addresses itself to any quasi-mind. It must

begin by forming a determination of that quasi-mind, and nothing

will be lost by regarding that determination as the sign.14 EP 2

p.391 1906

Best,

Auke van Breemen