Mary, List,

You wrote:

ML: You say "How the Person of the Spirit comes into play is much too
difficult/subtle to attempt to summarize here.” I totally agree, but I do
think its absence in our discussion causes some of the (my) confusion. Can
you explain how The Holy Spirit works in this discussion?

***GR: I did not mean to suggest that a discussion of the place of the Holy
Spirit shouldn't figure in this discussion and, eventually, perhaps even
prominently, especially because it hasn't been given sufficient attention,
well, most anywhere. But in my very short summary of 'Trinity' in context
of Peirce's semeiotic and metaphysics,  I found that I was not able to say
anything meaningful in a few sentences. Of course, more to come.


ML: It seems to me an/the essential aspect of God; it is what makes God
God. There is God the father, God the son. And God the Holy Spirit.

*** I'm glad you've begun the discussion of the place of the Spirit in
trinitarian thinking, and while I would agree that is is 'an' essential
aspect of God, I don't see how it could be considered 'the' essential
aspect'. As you wrote, "There is God the father, God the son. And God the
Holy Spirit." Since you agree that God is these three persons, I can't see
how it is that the Spirit "makes God God."  If you could unpack that a bit,
it would be helpful.

ML: The Nicene Creed, in particular the Filioque doctrine, is very much
related to our discussion. The Filioque  means “and son”—  and one
interpretation of the Nicene Creed says that the Holy Spirit proceeded from
the Father and the Son, not just the Father. The Eastern and Western
churches split over this difference. And there are controversies in non
Christian religions. Why does part of the controversy not reverse the order
and state that the Father and Son proceeded from the Holy Spirit?

***At this point and, for me at *any *point, I would prefer not to get into
theological discussions as such. As you noted, the Filioque controversy
resulted in the schism between the Eastern and Western Churches, the
Eastern Church holding that the Spirit proceeded from the Father alone, the
Western Church that the Spirit proceeded from the Father and the Son (or,
from the Father through the Son). I am concerned that such theological
discussion could not only muddy the discussion but could get us completely
off track. Having said that I'd be very interested in why you wrote: (1) "there
are (related?) controversies in non Christian religions (would you give
examples of these?) and why you asked (2) "Why does part of the controversy
not reverse the order and state that the Father and Son proceeded from the
Holy Spirit?"That is a most provocative question, I would say!

ML: In a sense the trinity is analogous to the concepts of firstness,
secondness, and thirdness of semiotics. And in “Neglected Argument for the
Reality of God” the play of musement explains the creation of ideas,
empirical testing of ideas presented as an hypothesis, and a decision based
on the result of the testing of the idea. Firstness depends on thirdness,
which is law, not the law but a law. I see the three aspects in musement
very much like the Holy Trinity. There is no beginning or ending.

***I am fairly sure that you will get push back in this thread from your
notion that "the trinity is analogous to the concepts of firstness,
secondness, and thirdness of semiotics." Some here will, perhaps, suggest
that, rather, the trinity may be analogous to the three Universes of
Experience of metaphysics. Be that as it may, I agree with you, if I
understand you correctly, that these three (categories or Universes) in a
genuine trichotomic relationship require each other *in that genuineness*.
But I would not say that 1ns "depends" on 3ns, but rather that 3ns involves
2ns and 1ns. But that is but one of 6 possible vectors (paths) through a
genuine trichotomic relationship, not the only one.

ML: Substitute firstness with Father, or firstness with Holy Spirit,
and … basically, stop to consider all of the various permutations of 1/2/3
with F/S/HS. . . .To accept all of the relations between them (1/2/3 with
F/S/HS) we have a process like semiosis, not a fixed hierarchy or
chronology.

***In my trinitarian researches I believe I have found all these
permutations of 1ns/2ns/3ns: (both (a) three possible placements of the
triadic elements around the trikon as well as (b) the 6 vectors, or paths
through a genuine trichotomic relationship). Perhaps several of these
permutations may have relevance, but for now I would suggest that from a
Peircean standpoint that what is possibly most suggestive for our
trinitarian inquiry is a simple trichotomy which is not a vector at all,
but the principle that 3ns mediates between 1ns and 2ns. So, from one
vantage point, the Spirit (3ns) mediates between the Father (1ns) and the
Son (2ns). But I do not write this as anything but a vague conjecture. It
is clearly not a temporal one.

***Further, from the involutional vectorial standpoint I have considered
placing the Father at 3ns, involving the Son as 2ns, which in turn involves
the Spirit (one can see the analogue to one of the "processional" arguments
of the early Church). But, again, I think that it is best to see the three
persons of the trinity as an eternal triad (not one, btw, that doesn't
'move' or 'evolve', etc, but where all Persons of the triad are required
and, in that sense, equal). So:

Father, 1ns
|> Spirit, 3ns (mediating between 1ns and 2ns)

Son, 2ns

ML: [Add gender to this. The Virgin Mother as part of God was essential to
the worship of the Middle Ages.]

***Again, as interesting as this is, it seems an element of a possible
theological discussion--nor my cup of tea (nor Peirce's for that matter).
Still, it may very well have some relevance in the course of this
inquiry--but probably, much later.


ML: I see the debate among theologians and religions as analogous to
debates within semiotics, not just within Peircean semiotics.

***No doubt!


ML: I apologize for the disjointed nature of this presentation. It is due,
only in part, to the nature of the subject. I do think the complication of
the Holy Spirit takes us to the center of the discussion. I look forward to
what others see as the role of the Holy Spirit in this. To leave it out
seems sterile.

***I completely agree that to leave out a discussion of the Spirit would
result in a "sterile" discussion. But it seems to me wholly unlikely that
that will happen. Indeed, a discussion of the Spirit will happen because
you have introduced it so emphatically. But, as I believe both of us have
suggested, the place of the Spirit in a Trinitarian discussion--especially
one centered on categorial and semeiotic principles--is complex, difficult,
subtle and, so, challenging.

Best,

Gary Rry, List,


*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*
*LaGuardia College of the City University of New York*




<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:26 PM Mary Libertin <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Gary R., List,
>
> Gary R.,
>
> You say "How the Person of the Spirit comes into play is much too
> difficult/subtle to attempt to summarize here.” I totally agree, but I do
> think its absence in our discussion causes some of the (my) confusion. Can
> you explain how The Holy Spirit works in this discussion?
>
> It seems to me an/the essential aspect of God; it is what makes God God.
> There is God the father, God the son. And God the Holy Spirit.
>
> The Nicene Creed, in particular the Filioque doctrine, is very much
> related to our discussion. The Filioque  means “and son”—  and one
> interpretation of the Nicene Creed says that the Holy Spirit proceeded from
> the Father and the Son, not just the Father. The Eastern and Western
> churches split over this difference. And there are controversies in non
> Christian religions. Why does part of the controversy not reverse the order
> and state that the Father and Son proceeded from the Holy Spirit?
>
> In a sense the trinity is analogous to the concepts of firstness,
> secondness, and thirdness of semiotics. And in “Neglected Argument for the
> Reality of God” the play of musement explains the creation of ideas,
> empirical testing of ideas presented as an hypothesis, and a decision based
> on the result of the testing of the idea. Firstness depends on thirdness,
> which is law, not the law but a law. I see the three aspects in musement
> very much like the Holy Trinity. There is no beginning or ending.
>
> Substitute firstness with Father, or firstness with Holy Spirit,
> and … basically, stop to consider all of the various permutations of 1/2/3
> with F/S/HS. . . .To accept all of the relations between them (1/2/3 with
> F/S/HS) we have a process like semiosis, not a fixed hierarchy or
> chronology.
>
> [Add gender to this. The Virgin Mother as part of God was essential to the
> worship of the Middle Ages.]
>
> I see the debate among theologians and religions as analogous to debates
> within semiotics, not just within Peircean semiotics.
>
> I apologize for the disjointed nature of this presentation. It is due,
> only in part, to the nature of the subject. I do think the complication of
> the Holy Spirit takes us to the center of the discussion. I look forward to
> what others see as the role of the Holy Spirit in this. To leave it out
> seems sterile.
>
> Best,
> Mary Libertin
>
> On May 17, 2019, at 5:59 PM, Gary Richmond <[email protected]>
> wrote:c
>
> How the Person of the Spirit comes into play is much too difficult/subtle
> to attempt to summarize here.
>
>
>
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to