Jon, List,

The questions lead, I think, to a natural progression.

1)  We seek a mathematically adequate conception of continuity for the sake of
developing a sufficiently rich conception of continuity for inquiry in logic
and semiotics.

2) In turn, we seek a logically adequate conception of continuity for the sake
of developing a sufficiently rich conception of continuity for inquiry in
metaphysics.

3) Finally, we seek a philosophical conception of continuity that is adequate
for logic and metaphysics for the sake of developing a sufficiently rich
conception of continuity for inquiries in the special sciences.

As such,  figuring out what conception of continuity is adequate for pure
mathematics and, in turn in applied mathematics is essential.  For the sake of
applying mathematics to positive questions in the sciences, a proper
understanding of different kinds of mathematical models and forms of
measurement are important for our inquiries in philosophy and the special
sciences. After all, each of these cenoscopic or idioscopic sciences can be
made rigorous only insofar as we are competent to employ the right sorts of
mathematical models and forms of measurement in those areas of inquiry.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy