Hi Jon S, List,

Here is the message that was sent offlist about Francisco Vargas's presentation
on Peirce's mathematical conception of continuity. I was thinking it was part
of the thread I'd already brought back to the list discussion.

I don't remember the details of what Francisco said about SIA, although it is
probably the most interesting system among those listed in the table for the
sake of understanding what Francisco and Fernando are saying about Peirce's
mathematical conception of continuity.

The system is based on Alexander Grothendieck’s work on Algebraic Geometry, as
developed by the likes of  Bill Lawvere and John Bell. As with intuitionism,
the law of excluded middle is being shelved. As with non-standard analysis,
infinitesimals are the basis of all functions.

If you are interested in learning about Lawvere's use of category theory in the
development of SIA, I highly recommend his book:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1460/05/1460059215690.pdf  It provides
an accessible introduction to category theory, although more will be needed to
see how that is being applied in SIA.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor