Jon, List :

Peirce asks himself questions and only questions to know which trichotomies
of which virtual or abstract thought objects (ie the Ai of my protosigns)
he could choose to place them in the 10 places. At this moment they are
trichotomies  *independentes* of any determination between these objects.
There are actually 59049. It's enough to impress Lady Welby and William
James!

But once this choice is made we would obviously fall back on the usual 66
classes.

This is not the first time he has evaluated his task:

Peirce: CP 5.488 Cross-Ref:††  488. I here owe my patient reader a
confession. It is that when I said that those signs that have a logical
interpretant are either general or closely connected with generals, this
was not a scientific result, but only a strong impression due to a
life-long study of the nature of signs. My excuse for not answering the
question scientifically is that I am, as far as I know, a pioneer, or
rather a *backwoodsman*, in the work of clearing and opening up what I call
semiotic, that is, the doctrine of the essential nature and fundamental
varieties of possible semiosis; and I find the field too vast, the labor
too great, for a first-comer. I am, accordingly, obliged to confine myself
to the most important questions. The questions of the same particular type
as the one I answer on the basis of an impression, which are of about the
same importance*, exceed four hundred in number*; and they are all delicate
and difficult, each requiring much search and much caution. At the same
time, they are very far from being among the most important of the
questions of semiotic. Even if my answer is not exactly correct, it can
lead to no great misconception as to the nature of the logical
interpretant. There is my apology, such as it may be deemed." (dated v.1936)

400 is much less than 59049!

However, anyone can declare themselves an explorer today, this is the
condition of any free search. As far as I am concerned, I constantly
control that my explorations stick to Peirce's fundamental writings,
paragraph by paragraph, word by word.

You end with a moral injunction based on the authority of John Sowa:

*"That is why I insist on faithfulness to Peirce's own writings when
employing his terminology and seeking to apply his ideas today.  Otherwise,
we do not actually "build on and extend his work," but rather create
something new of our own invention and wrongly attribute it to him."*

I wonder who it can apply to and I don't feel concerned. On the other hand,
I fear that there is still much to clear in the forest and that there is
not yet time to plant trees on the freed parts won.