Gary, List,

Well, this is nice meat for a semioticean. How is such a misunderstanding
possible?

For me the sliver pertains to John and the girder to JAS.

It is JAS who on the one hand demands literal quotes (which belongs to text
exegesis) but on the other avoids the meat (i.e. doing semiotics as a science).

And on top of that for himself leaves room to divert:

Again, it should go without saying for all my posts (including this one) that
they are expressions of my personal opinions based on my interpretations of his
writings.

But denies it to others to have their interpretation of Peirce's thought.

Auke