Jon, List,

Thank you, Jon! As I have written in my post to Robert, I still am not fully clear with the temporal aspects versus the causal ones, and the pre-existing object. I have always seen it so, that sign, object, interpretant exist at the same time. Ok, the object points into the past, as it is the representation of an entity that has been there before, and the interpretant points into the future, as it will become a new sign, and the final interpretant even points into the eternal future. But as what they are, S, O, and I, they only exist at the instant of the sign. If this is so, and

if causality goes timewise, acting one from the past to the future, and reflecting one the other way in terms of reflection, and the same way in terms of itself happening, then

is determination not causality, because

causality-as-temporality requires more than the determination aspect: Some other aspect(s), going in the same direction. But

In the sign-object-relation there are two aspects, determination and denotation, both going into opposite directions. So

Sing and object have a bilateral relation of dependency towards each other, which is not causality. Is that so?

Best,

Helmut

 29. April 2020 um 03:29 Uhr
 "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Helmut, List:

As I have noted previously, the "special role" of the sign is doing the representing or mediating, which is why it is the first correlate of the genuine triadic relation.  The sign represents its object to its interpretant.  The sign mediates between its object and its interpretant.  On the other hand, the object determines the sign to determine the interpretant.  Peirce's own formulation is not quite as succinct, but hints at Gary F.'s excellent explanation of what determination means in this context.

CSP:  ... a sign is anything, of whatsoever mode of being, which mediates between an object and an interpretant; since it is both determined by the object relatively to the interpretant, and determines the interpretant in reference to the object, in such wise as to cause the interpretant to be determined by the object through the mediation of this "sign."
The object and the interpretant are thus merely the two correlates of the sign; the one being antecedent, the other consequent of the sign. (EP 2:410, 1907)

Semeiosis is thus a generalization of logical sequence--it always proceeds in one irreversible direction, from the object (antecedent) through the sign to the interpretant (consequent), conforming to Gary R.'s aptly named categorial vector of determination (2ns→1ns→3ns).  Likewise, temporal sequence always proceeds in one irreversible direction, from the past through the present to the future.  However, this does not entail causal determinism, which Peirce usually calls "necessitarianism" and quite vociferously opposes.  While "the mode of the Past is that of Actuality" and the present is "the Nascent State of the Actual," the future "is not Actual ... but is either Necessary or Possible, which are of the same mode" (CP 5.459-462, EP 2:357-359, 1905).

Moreover, the reality of spontaneity as affirmed by Peirce's tychism entails that the necessities of the future are conditional, not inevitable.  As a result, the ongoing evolution of our existing universe conforms to Gary R.'s categorial vector of process (1ns→3ns→2ns)--from being absolutely indeterminate in the infinite past, when everything would have been in the future, toward being absolutely determinate in the infinite future, when everything would be in the past.  These are ideal states of things, not actual states of things, and in the meantime ...

CSP:  Between these, we have on our side a state of things in which there is some absolute spontaneity counter to all law, and some degree of conformity to law, which is constantly on the increase owing to the growth of habit. (CP 8.317, 1891)

The overall state of things is always becoming more determinate, and cannot ever become less determinate again.  In other words, the "one individual, or completely determinate, state of things, namely, the all of reality" (CP 5.549, EP 2:378, 1906) is perpetually growing as indeterminate possibilities (1ns) and conditional necessities (3ns) of the future are constantly becoming determinate actualities (2ns) of the past.

CSP:  The very being of the General, of Reason, consists in its governing individual events. So, then, the essence of Reason is such that its being never can have been completely perfected. It always must be in a state of incipiency, of growth. … This development of Reason consists, you will observe, in embodiment, that is, in manifestation. The creation of the universe, which did not take place during a certain busy week, in the year 4004 B.C., but is going on today and never will be done, is this very development of Reason. (CP 1.615, EP 2:255, 1903)

Hence Peirce anticipated what is now widely known as the growing block theory of time, in which the past and the present exist but not the future.  In fact, he evidently viewed it as following directly from his synechism--"If all things are continuous, the universe must be undergoing a continuous growth from non-existence to existence" (CP 1.175, c. 1893).

Regards,

Jon S.