Edwina, Jon Alan, Helmut, List

Most of the discussions on the list have focused philosophical questions on
final causes, efficient causes, goals, etc. ... and many disagreements have
been found ... I would point out that these discussions focus on what is
happening in the interpretants of the hexadic sign and I have even seen
that a subject on their plethora -which I have not yet been able to
consult- has been created. But on what happens before, apart from a
consensus on the Od-Oi-S sequence that no one questions, there is very
little. I mentioned it necessarily in the parable value example in response
to Jon Alan in which I mentioned that the utterers  of the sign could do
nothing but  mark the sign of its subjectivity. Even when he utters the
word "pipe" he mobilizes his own conception of the concept of "pipe", most
likely consistent with what is in the mind of most potential
receivers. However,
in all cases whether it is the concept itself (for example in a discussion
about the harmfulness  of pipes), a real pipe or a painful experience
related to a pipe,,  it will be necessary to verify that it is indeed a
pipe. And if I chose pipe" everyone will have understood that it is to
ensure the reinforcement of René Magritte.

What I want to emphasize here is that it may not be a good methodology to
give such a preference for interpretation in semiosis without focusing the
analysis on the whole process. And I come to Edwina's question: "Comment?"
I read it in French but I could have read it in English ... and probably
the ambiguity was it intended ...

I rephrase it this way: how individual semiosis articulates with global
semiosis ? Edwina provided an interactionist response that would result in
a final interpretant that will obviously be historically dated as a
provisional result of these multiple interactions. For my part I proposed a
 slightly different conceptualization that takes into account the fact that
the signs being obligated interfaces  (a medium for the communication of a
form for example)  between the outside world and the inner world it is
necessary to grasp by "a same movement of thought", the before-sign and the
after-sign with the physiological perception of the sign as a connection
between these two worlds. Otherwise we run the risk of introducing
unsuspected biases that lead to questions that do not arise or that arise
in other words, such as those I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Je considère que le texte ci-dessous est fondamental pour justifier
l'emploi d'un nouveau concept qui remplira cette fonction de
"contre-réaction sociale" des  semiosis individuelles :

*" But while I say this, it must not be inferred that I regard
consciousness as a mere "epiphenomenon"; though I heartily grant that the
hypothesis that it is so has done good service to science. To my
apprehension, consciousness may be defined as that congeries of
non-relative predicates, varying greatly in quality and in intensity, which
are symptomatic of the interaction of the outer world -- the world of those
causes that are exceedingly compulsive upon the modes of consciousness,
with general disturbance sometimes amounting to shock, and are acted upon
only slightly, and only by a special kind of effort, muscular effort -- and
of the inner world, apparently derived from the outer, and amenable to
direct effort of various kinds with feeble reactions; the interaction of
these two worlds chiefly consisting of a direct action of the outer world
upon the inner and an indirect action of the inner world upon the outer
through the operation of habits. If this be a correct account of
consciousness, i.e., of the congeries of feelings, it seems to me that it
exercises a real function in self-control, since without it, or at least
without that of which it is symptomatic, the resolves and exercises of the
inner world could not affect the real determinations and habits of the
outer world. I say that these belong to the outer world because they are
not mere fantasies but are real agencies." **CP (5.493 ,Pragmatism, 1906)*

But this fundamental text alone does not solve the question posed by Edwina
because it obviously lacks the  commens, this concept that dominates both
the emission of signs and their receptions. A concept that is added to this
text allows us to situate Peirce's semiotics in the social field, his study
in sociology and his practice among social practices. But the commens as
Peirce presents it is a general framework in which individual signs are
supposed to cooperate to arrive at a kind of social semiosis whose dynamics
feed on individual variations. These are mostly the result of material
changes in the outside world as a result of the development of science and
technology, their impact on the environment, the circulation of ideas (and
viruses...), etc.   It is not integrated  es-qualities  into the semiotic
sequence; it is just the  framework in which it unfolds. One way to
integrate it is to use the concept of an institution as defined and used in
institutional analysis.

On the use of this concept in sociology there are significant differences
between its development in the Anglo-Saxon world (William Richard Scott;
Douglass North <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Richard_Scott>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglass_North>, Nobel Prize for Economics
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_for_Economics>  in 1993; Di
Maggio, The new institutionalism) mainly in the field of economics an
European thinkers (MarcelMauss, Max Weber) with a large French School quite
dispersed (MichelFoucauld, Cornelius Castoriadis, René Lourau).  That is
why I will not refer today as I did in 1989 to its Hegelian version. The
latter, ignored from Wikipedia in English, classically distinguishes the
three moments from the concept "instituted", "instituting",
institutionalization  and applies it rather in terms of critical
sociological in fields such as psychotherapy, pedagogy, the sociology of
organisms and interventionism, psychosociology,...
 (see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyse_institutionnelle ).

That is why I will give at least a consensual definition with all the
approaches I have just mentioned that will be compatible with the commens
and pragmatic thinking present in the 5,493 mentioned above. I borrow most
of them in the en. Wikipedia :

*"institutional theory is a theory on the deeper and more **resilient
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilience_(organizational)>** aspects of
social structure. It considers the processes by which structures, including
schemes, rules, norms, and routines, become established as authoritative
guidelines for social behavior. Different components of institutional
theory explain how these elements are created, diffused, adopted, and
adapted over space and time; and how they fall into decline and
disuse.(**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_theory>*)

I'will add to this an  important  precision which concerns the continuous
movement of change of the *commens *by  institutions  modified  by social
movements driven by the evolution of science and technology in the broadest
sense including communication techniques and populist challenges that place
irrational leaders in a position to legislate, that is, able to impose
laws. Peirce provides a "weak" version of institutional interaction (*an
indirect action of the inner world upon the outer through the operation of
habits*) in relation to the means of influence of his time. Today we can
clearly assume that what has been called "the communication society" and
even the "consumer society" have multiplied by an extremely high factor
these indirect actions which can be real mass manipulations.

This concept thus extended and stripped of any economic or ideological
connotations seems to me perfectly suited to guarantee the operationality
of semiotic analysis in today's world. My study on nicotine is a good
example and my answer "parable" to Jon Alan an illustration in the course
of the list.

Best regards,

Robert