Jon, List,

The possibility of the immediate object (similar with the immediate interpretant) you describe is a relation between the sign and the world, mathematically correct, I assume: The subset of all tuples of sign-elements and world-elements (s,w), for which is valid "s may denote w". But Peirce also says, that the immediate object is the object as conveyed by the sign. But does a sign really transmit such a huge subset? Or are there two meanings of "possibility": On one hand it just is like opening a window to yet unknown visions for the future, just an offer of connectivity, and on the other hand "possibility" is all that is possible?

I mean, does a sign always harness the whole phaneron, stirring the whole phaneron-machine, making it click, or is it a quite isolated thing trying to get access to it?

Best,

Helmut

 28. Mai 2020 um 03:35 Uhr
 "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

Robert, List:

As promised, I will attempt to offer my own semeiotic analysis of my post from last week (included below) for comparison with your parable (also included below).  For the sake of clarity, I will first review how I employ the terminology, seeking to be as faithful as possible to Peirce's own usage while recognizing that there are some differences.  For the sake of (relative) brevity, I will omit supporting quotes and citations.

As the sender, I am the utterer, and every recipient who reads the post is an interpreter.  The post itself is a sign token, the embodiment of a sign type, which is a definitely significant form.  It consists almost entirely of questions, each of which is likewise a token of a type.  Two of the nine questions have one word in italics for emphasis as sign tone, which is an indefinite significant character.

Every question expresses a proposition, and the dynamical object of every proposition--what it actually does denote--is the entire universe of reality.  Its immediate object is the logical universe of discourse--the collection of everything that the terms involved in it possibly could denote to an interpreter who possesses the necessary familiarity with them by virtue of collateral experience in the past and/or collateral observation at the present.  Those items are described by each term's immediate interpretant, which is simply its definition--whatever it possibly could signify to an interpreter who is sufficiently acquainted with the system of sign types to which it belongs; in this case, written English.

An event of semeiosis happens when a dynamical object determines a sign token to determine an individual interpreter to a dynamical interpretant--what the sign token actually does signify to that interpreter on that occasion, which is its effect as a feeling (emotional interpretant), an exertion (energetic interpretant), or a further sign token (logical interpretant).  This can be (and often is) different for different interpreters under different circumstances, although treating each of them as a discrete occurrence is an artifact of analysis, because real semeiosis is truly continuous.  The final interpretant is what the sign itself necessarily would signify to any interpreter under ideal circumstances--the habit toward which all the different dynamical interpretants determined by different tokens of different types of the same sign would converge over the course of infinite inquiry by an infinite community.  In summary, the sign token is the efficient cause of the dynamical interpretant, the immediate interpretant is its formal cause, and the final interpretant is its final cause.

In a very different sense, the dynamical (dynamoid) object determines the immediate object, which determines the sign, which determines the final (destinate) interpretant, which determines the dynamical (effective) interpretant, which determines the immediate (explicit) interpretant.  This is not a temporal sequence of strictly dyadic efficient-causal relations, but rather a logical scheme for identifying which 28 sign classes are really possible out of the 729 that are mathematically possible, based on the universe to which each correlate in turn belongs.  There are three such universes, which are distinguished by three modalities of being that correspond to Peirce's three phenomenological categories and consist respectively of possibles (1ns), existents (2ns), or necessitants (3ns).

The governing rule for sign classification is that a possible can only determine a possible, a necessitant can only be determined by a necessitant, and an existent can determine either a possible or an existent while being determined by either an existent or a necessitant.  This conforms to Gary Richmond's vector of analysis (3ns→2ns→1ns), along with the logical relation of involution or presupposition.  Accordingly, although the order of the three genuine correlates is the same as above (O→S→I)--conforming to Gary's vector of determination (2ns→1ns→3ns)--the universe to which each of these belongs (Od=2, S=1, If=3) constrains the universe(s) to which the corresponding degenerate (Oi=1/2, Id=2/3) and doubly degenerate (Ii=1/2/3) correlates can belong, resulting in the hexad (Od→Oi→S→If→Id→Ii).  Again, this is a logical arrangement, not a temporal or efficient-causal sequence.

That seems like enough for now, but there is more to come.

Regards,

Jon S.