Jon, list,

I decided to change the subject line, as we’re not really talking about
communication here.

JAS: In CP 1.345-347 (1903), Peirce is talking about genuine triadic relations,
and "representing" or (more generally) "mediating" is just such a relation with
three subjects--the sign, its object, and its interpretant.

GF: I think this is a misleading schema if it obscures the fact that mediation
is a process and the description of it as a relation is abstracted from that
process. It doesn’t explain how mediation works, or how it differs from other
genuine triadic relations. Merrell’s inserting it into a circular process
diagram, and his verbal reading of it, is an attempt to explain the relation in
terms of the process it is abstracted from. Whether it’s a successful attempt
or not is a judgment call that every interpreter will have to make. I included
it in Turning Signs because I read it as quite consistent with the theory of
semiosis rest of the book. I must admit that its language does not sound much
like Peirce’s speculative grammar as developed from 1903 on. Merrell’s approach
is perhaps summed up in the final sentence of the quote I included in the
“Comminding” section <http://gnusystems.ca/TS/css.htm#x05>  of my book: “We
sense, once again, the spiralling process of signs becoming signs, signs
translated, translating themselves, into other signs.”

There’s a Peirce quote elsewhere in my book
<http://gnusystems.ca/TS/ldm.htm#x12> , from 1902 (R 599), which does sound
more Merrellian, and I think helps to explain why the distinction between
interpreter and interpretant should not be made “with an axe,” as Peirce puts
it in his critique of dualism. So I’ll leave the last word to Peirce:

CSP: The sign is never the very object itself. It is, therefore a sign of its
object only in some aspect, in some respect. Thus, a sign is something which
brings another sign into objective relation to that sign which it represents
itself, and brings it into that relation in some measure in the same respect or
aspect in which it is itself a sign of the same sign. If we attempt to say what
respect or aspect it is in which a sign is a sign of its object, that respect
or aspect must then appear itself as a sign. Its own full aspect, the sign
cannot evoke or endeavor to evoke. It is only some aspect of that aspect that
it can aim to reproduce. Here again there will be an endless series. But this
aspect is only a character of the necessary imperfection of a sign. A sign is
something which in some measure and in some respect makes its interpretant the
sign of that of which it is itself the sign. It is like a mean function in
mathematics. We call φx,y a mean function of x and y, if it is such a function
that when x and y are the same, it is itself that same. So a sign which merely
represents itself to itself is nothing else but that thing itself. The two
infinite series, the one back toward the object, the other forward toward the
interpretant, in this case collapse into an immediate present. The type of a
sign is memory, which takes up the deliverance of past memory and delivers a
portion of it to future memory.

Gary f.