List,

The difference between mediation and relation rings a bell to me. There are two kinds of relation: Relatio rationalis and relatio naturalis. Relatio rationalis is a by a mind supposed relation, without the need of both parts actually to take part, or communicate with each other. Relatio naturalis is a real relation with both related parts taking part. A mediation that produces a relatio rationalis insofar is not a triadic action, but two dyadic ones. This is the case with the mediation of the representamen, not "between", but towards both the dynamic object and the interpretant. A triadic mediation would be to have the mediator make the two mediated participants communicate, and somehow agree or disagree with each other, at least acknowledge each other. The outcome would be a relatio naturalis. This is the case with the mediation by the representamen between the immediate object and the interpretant. Is that so? Anyway, I think, this is an example of the value of blending non-Peircean concepts (relatio rationalis and -naturalis) into a Peirce-related discussion, and be it merely to better understand Peirce in the end, after having done so and discussed about it.

Best,

Helmut

Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. Juni 2020 um 14:25 Uhr
Von: g...@gnusystems.ca
An: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Betreff: [PEIRCE-L] diagrams of semiosis

Jon, list,

I decided to change the subject line, as we’re not really talking about communication here.

JAS: In CP 1.345-347 (1903), Peirce is talking about genuine triadic relations, and "representing" or (more generally) "mediating" is just such a relation with three subjects--the sign, its object, and its interpretant.

GF: I think this is a misleading schema if it obscures the fact that mediation is a process and the description of it as a relation is abstracted from that process. It doesn’t explain how mediation works, or how it differs from other genuine triadic relations. Merrell’s inserting it into a circular process diagram, and his verbal reading of it, is an attempt to explain the relation in terms of the process it is abstracted from. Whether it’s a successful attempt or not is a judgment call that every interpreter will have to make. I included it in Turning Signs because I read it as quite consistent with the theory of semiosis rest of the book. I must admit that its language does not sound much like Peirce’s speculative grammar as developed from 1903 on. Merrell’s approach is perhaps summed up in the final sentence of the quote I included in the “Comminding” section of my book: “We sense, once again, the spiralling process of signs becoming signs, signs translated, translating themselves, into other signs.”

There’s a Peirce quote elsewhere in my book, from 1902 (R 599), which does sound more Merrellian, and I think helps to explain why the distinction between interpreter and interpretant should not be made “with an axe,” as Peirce puts it in his critique of dualism. So I’ll leave the last word to Peirce:

CSP: The sign is never the very object itself. It is, therefore a sign of its object only in some aspect, in some respect. Thus, a sign is something which brings another sign into objective relation to that sign which it represents itself, and brings it into that relation in some measure in the same respect or aspect in which it is itself a sign of the same sign. If we attempt to say what respect or aspect it is in which a sign is a sign of its object, that respect or aspect must then appear itself as a sign. Its own full aspect, the sign cannot evoke or endeavor to evoke. It is only some aspect of that aspect that it can aim to reproduce. Here again there will be an endless series. But this aspect is only a character of the necessary imperfection of a sign. A sign is something which in some measure and in some respect makes its interpretant the sign of that of which it is itself the sign. It is like a mean function in mathematics. We call φx,y a mean function of x and y, if it is such a function that when x and y are the same, it is itself that same. So a sign which merely represents itself to itself is nothing else but that thing itself. The two infinite series, the one back toward the object, the other forward toward the interpretant, in this case collapse into an immediate present. The type of a sign is memory, which takes up the deliverance of past memory and delivers a portion of it to future memory.

Gary f.