Jon Alan, List

That's very good, but it's better when you say it. I deduce that "the" can
have the value of "A" or "My" or "plausible A" ... I'm an incorrigible
frenchie ... Sorry…

As I think that there are only interpretations of signs I can hardly
contribute to your questioning only by confirming my full agreement with
the logic of the interpretation that I discovered more than 40 years ago at
Peirce in a large number of forms and in particular this one :

*"Let it be repeated that all the terms of the division must be strictly
relevant to logic, and that consequently all accidents of experience,
however universal, must be excluded. The result of this rule will
necessarily be that the new concept of a "sign" will be defined exclusively
by the forms of its logical relationships; and the utmost pains must be
taken to understand those relations in a purely formal, or, as we may say,
in a purely mathematical way."( EP2 : 389)*

I've studied this quote in :

Marty, Robert, « A Purely Mathematical Way for Peirce's Semiotics »,
dans Charles Sanders Peirce in His Own Words: 100 Years of Semiotics,
Communication and Cognition, Berlin-New-York-Amsterdam, Thellefsen, Torkild
/ Sorensen, Bent, 2014 (ISBN
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number>
978-1-61451-641-5
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A9cial:Ouvrages_de_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence/978-1-61451-641-5>
).

https://www.degruyter.com/view/book/9781614516415/10.1515/9781614516415.415.xml

The logic of the interpretation that I retain is obtained by following
Peirce through the combination of two formal entities:

 - a suite of determinations of length n

- the ordered universal categories applicable to objects placed in
determinans and/or determinatum positions in these sequences

Valid classes are the result of this formal logic of interpretation.

For n = 3 and n = 6 Peirce implemented this logic.  He did not do it for n
= 10 because he did not specify any determinations for the 4 new objects.

I do not see the need to create a mix to revise what made him famous as the
"father of modern semiotics" ... but I only ask to be convinced by blunt
arguments, i.e. an alternative coherent formal construction. For the time
being, I do not see it pointing wherever I turn and I wish good luck to
those who will devote themselves to it.

Best regards,

Robert