Jon Schmidt, John Sowa, List,

Jeff D:  If you substitute "texts" for "facts", as you have suggested, how does
that constrain the inquiries?

Jon Schmidt:  Again, I suggest that it constrains the inquiries to discerning
the author's intended meaning as expressed in the texts themselves.  At this
stage, we are only seeking to ascertain what Peirce's actual views were as
communicated by his writings, not assessing whether they are correct.

JD:  Readers need to carry out the inquiries themselves and then check to see
if they arrive at the same result. Carrying out these inquiries seems to
involve facts that go beyond the words written on the pages.

Jon S:  I agree, but I see it as a subsequent step.  First we test our
interpretative hypotheses against "the words written on the pages" in a
good-faith effort to make sure that we have properly understood them.  Then we
test them against reality by conducting our own inquiries along the same lines.

Jeff D:  I disagree with the suggestion that it should be a two-step process.
Let me distinguish the following questions we can ask as readers of Peirce's
writings:

  1.   How should we interpret a given text?
  2.  How should we understand the methods Peirce is employing in his inquiries?

For my part, I think that we should try to understand and employ Peirce's
methods at the same time we are reading the texts. That is, (1) and (2) go hand
in hand. You really can't make much headway on (1) without considering how
Peirce is using experimental methods to push inquiry forward. Often, the
arguments he offers in the texts are really just signposts that he is offering
readers in the hope that we will be able to follow his lines of inquiry.

In many cases, I find that Peirce is moving so fast and covering so much ground
that the only way to fill in the gaps is to carry out the inquiries
myself--drawing on his instructions and suggestions offered in other texts. If
I am not inquiring myself about the same questions he is asking using the same
methods he is employing, I often entirely fail to follow the directions
contained in those signposts. In such cases, I have to start again in order to
figure out where I lost the thread.

In your response, you seem to have fastened on the following question, which I
think is quite different from (2) above:  Are the results that Peirce arrived
at using those methods correct, or do we arrive at different results when using
the same methods to address the same questions? Even here, we can ask this
question in a modest fashion by using this approach as a check on our use of
his methods. If I arrive at a different result, then I take it as an indication
that I've misunderstood or misapplied his methods.

Having said that, I do take myself to be capable of engaging in my own
inquiries using these methods, and I find it interesting when I arrive at a
different result. What is more, one can ask if Peirce is using the right
methods. Where we have doubts about his methods or results that persist, it is
only natural to ask how might we improve on those methods in a manner that is
consonant with the aim of seeking the truth about what is really the case.
Whenever I head down this track on the List, I try to clarify what I'm doing by
spelling out where my methods or results differ from Peirce's.

Yours,

Jeff D

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:43 AM Jeffrey Brian Downard