Gary R, list,

My apologies for taking ten days to reply to your post, Gary, because I had to
figure out what I really meant by “the primacy of esthetics.” What I had in
mind (rather vaguely) was the “aesthetic contemplation” which is one form of
“Musement” or “Pure Play” as Peirce called it (EP2:436
<http://www.gnusystems.ca/CSPgod.htm#na1e> ) in his “Neglected Argument” essay
of 1908. That would seem to differ widely from the esthetics which “studies the
characters which will belong to the phenomenon so far as it is controllable,
that is, the characters of what is aimed at” (as per your final Peirce quote),
because “aiming at” something implies a purpose, and Musement “involves no
purpose save that of casting aside all serious purpose.” And this I associate
with an ethical principle which I find in several sources, as explained here:
http://gnusystems.ca/TS/xrp.htm#x21 . (And that in turn is where the
“non-judgmental” idea came from.)

I like your suggestion “that it is the three normative sciences taken together
that makes them normative. Further, that the central science of ethics is,
associated as it clearly is with 2ns, is the commanding one of the three.” It’s
also clear that for Peirce, esthetics is the least normative of the normative
sciences; and beyond that, I don’t seem to have anything new to say about it.

As for the summum bonum, I’ve been reading Peirce’s entry on Pragmatism in
Baldwin’s Dictionary, http://www.gnusystems.ca/BaldwinPeirce.htm#Pragmatism ,
where he says that “Almost everybody will now agree that the ultimate good lies
in the evolutionary process in some way.” That may have been true in 1902, but
in 2020 I don’t think I can agree with it, or with Peirce’s idea of progress
toward “concrete reasonableness.” My reasons are at
http://gnusystems.ca/TS/snc.htm#x31 if anyone’s interested in why I part
company with Peirce on that point.

Gary f.