Jon Schmidt, List,

Congratulations on the publication of the paper. Here are some initial
questions.

  1.  In the opening pages of his discussion of continuity in the last
Cambridge Conferences lecture published in Reasoning and the Logic of Things,
Peirce distinguishes between the task of arriving at a conception of continuity
adequate for mathematical inquiry and arriving at a conception adequate for
philosophical inquiry. As he points out, once we have arrived at the former,
that is where the real difficulties begin. Having read through your article,
most of what you say pertains to the mathematical conception of continuity. Are
you focusing on a definition adequate for a mathematical conception of
continuity? Or, do you take yourself to have offered a definition of continuity
that is adequate for philosophical inquiry in phenomenology, the normative
sciences and metaphysics--as well as for mathematics?
  2.  At the end, you compare the components of your definition of continuity
to the list of components provided by Fernando Zalamea. Much to my surprise,
you brush aside the differences by saying Zalamea uses terms not found in
Peirce's writings and that many of the conceptions he employs are only familiar
to working mathematicians. If the aim is to provide an account of continuity
that is adequate for inquiry in mathematics, then it would have made sense to
compare the competing accounts and to engage in a discussion with what Zalamea
says.
  3.  On its face, I find your suggestion that Zalamea uses terms not found in
Peirce's texts to be puzzling. Let me focus on two components of his account
that are not found in your list:  genericity and modality. Is there some reason
that you've set genericity and modality to the side in your account?
  4.  In your discussion, you refer to Peirce's writings on topology, and you
focus on the language used in the Articles set forth in the chapter on topics
in the New Elements of Mathematics. One of the very first points that Peirce
highlights in italics is the importance of generation--e.g., the process of
generating something such as a continuous line. That is the conception Zalamea
is focusing on under the heading genericity.
  5.  One of the later manuscripts you consider is on the EGs. As the
distinction between the beta and gamma graphs highlights, modality is central
in his own work in mathematical logic.
  6.  Let me take a step back from the details and focus on a larger question.
What is needed for an adequate analysis of the concept of continuity? One way
of coming at the matter is to provide a definition that will, as they say,
stand the test of time. Another way of coming at the matter is to provide an
account that is adequate for the time being. My sense is that you are looking
for the former. In my view, Peirce is offering an account that is more limited:
 i.e., it is meant to be adequate for mathematical inquiry and practice up to
his time.
  7.  The future of mathematics is hard to see--even for the best of
mathematicians. As such, he is surveying the most important ideas that have
surfaced in mathematical inquiry ranging from the classical writings of Euclid
right up to the 19th-century writings of Gauss and Riemann, and he is trying to
identify the most important components in the current conception of continuity
as it has arisen in the research of mathematicians working in areas
including--but not limited to--topology, calculus and mathematical logic.
  8.  In the last lecture of RLT, Peirce provides a quick historical survey of
modern work in topology (e.g., Möbius), projective geometry (e.g., Desargues,
Poncelet), metrical geometries (e.g., Riemann and Lobochevsky) and group theory
(e.g., Cayley and Klein). It will be difficult to see whether or not one
definition of continuity or another (e.g., yours or Zalamea's) is adequate for
these different areas without digging into paradigmatic examples of
mathematical reasoning--as Peirce does time and again.
  9.  As far as I can see, Zalamea is following Peirce's lead. That is, he is
drawing on Peirce for the sake of developing an account of continuity that is
adequate for the additional work in mathematics that has been done in the 20th
century--and he is pointing out that Peirce was remarkably prescient in his
philosophical analysis of the mathematical conception--as recent work in
category and topos theory shows.
  10. In the concluding remarks, you claim that the thick account you provide
is more faithful to the common notion of continuity. Our common-sense notion is
something Peirce turns to as a starting point for philosophical inquiry. As
Peirce says in the passage you cite, Kant's basic idea is a pretty good
starting point as far as our common notion goes. As such, it looks to me like
you may be moving the target. Instead of starting and ending with a discussion
of what is needed for an adequate definition of continuity for the sake of
mathematics, you are claiming that Zalamea's account misses the mark and yours
is better as an explication of what is involved in our common conception.

There is more to be said, but I'll stop here for the sake of giving you a
chance to reply to these initial questions and comments about your article.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor