From: Jon Awbrey <jawb...@att.net>
Sent: 3-Aug-20 11:35
To: Peirce List <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Pragma, Pragmata, Pragmatitude!

Dear Gary, All ...

I was obviously having a lot more fun with words in those days ...

sigh, good times ... the point of it all being I always see the whole complex
of meanings associated with the Greek root "pragma, pragmata" through the more
threadbare veil of the Latin "object".

That complex contains all the senses of aims, concerns, ends, goals,
intentional objects, and purposes we tend to express more obliquely through the
use of "object" to mean "objective".  Still, the latter use does have some
currency in cybernetics, operations research, and systems theory, so it's a
handy sense to keep in mind.

Cf: Liddell & Scott

<http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3Dpra%3Dgma>

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3Dpra%3Dgma