Jon, John, List,

JFS: I renamed the subject line to emphasize the stages prior to the
derivation of the three branches of normative logic.

JAS: According to Peirce, the only "stages" between phaneroscopy and the
normative science of logic as semeiotic are the other two normative
sciences, esthetics and ethics.

GR: That's correct. John's assertion that "The first stages of phaneroscopy
apply formal logic to derive the phenomenological categories and the
hypoicons" and his insertion of "formal logic" into phaneroscopy in his
diagram of the classification of sciences has *no* support in Peirce and
does not appear in his own diagrams and outlines of that classification.

JFS:  The first stages of phaneroscopy apply formal logic to derive the
phenomenological categories and the hypoicons.

JAS: According to Peirce, phaneroscopy has no branches [. . .]

GR: Yes. But De Tienne and I have independently put forth the idea that the
further development of Peirce's science of phenomenology may come
to include two additional branches. In his paper, "Iconoscopy Between
Phaneroscopy and Semeiotic" (
https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/rssi/2013-v33-n1-2-3-rssi02379/1035282ar/)
De Tienne posits a yet undeveloped branch of phenomenology, *iconoscopy*,
to follow phanersocopy; and I have suggested that a third branch might also
eventually be developed, namely, what I've discussed as *trichotomic
category theory* in several papers and on this List. Of course both of
these possible branches of phenomenology go beyond the pure practice of
phaneroscopy which Peirce outlines. However, this possible development and
expansion of phaneroscopy is a topic that I hope we'll consider much later
in the slow read of De Tienne's slide presentation, and especially as we
approach the anatomy of that 'science egg' which De Tienne sees Peirce's
phenomenology as currently being. Jon continued:

JAS: It indeed applies formal/mathematical logic (*logica utens*) to derive
the categories, but not the hypoicons--those are derived in speculative
grammar, the first branch of the normative science of logic as
semeiotic (*logica
docens*).

GR: While I agree that the hypoicons are most certainly not derived in
phenomenology but, rather, in logic as semeiotic, I think that it's best to
say that a "formal/mathematical logic" *employs* a *logica utens *to derive
the categories in mathematics; that is, it shouldn't be identified with it.

GR: However, I think that the notion that formal logic derives the
categories, while surely true for pure mathematics, is not exactly so for
the first cenoscopic science, phaneroscopy/ phenomenology. In a pdf of
quotations by Peirce and some valuable comments by various Peirce scholars
which De Tienne sent to Jon, Gary Fuhrman, and me yesterday, one item
argues that mathematics and phaneroscopy discover the categories
"independently." I would tend to strongly agree. Indeed, in one place
Peirce argues that the three categories are 'first' discovered in
phenomenology and only later confirmed in mathematics through valency
theory and the reduction thesis, these representing the 'simplest
mathematics' in pure mathematics. In short, the original phaneroscopist,
Peirce, observes much more than 1ns, 2ns, and 3ns in the phaneron which,
I'd argue, cannot be reduced to those three seen as monad, dyad, and triad
(as they are in pure mathematics). So, while I am in general agreement with
Jon's remarks, I can't wholly agree with his stating that "None of this is
even remotely controversial among Peirce scholars." But I am in full
agreement with his final remark.

JAS: Again, any classification of the sciences that situates "formal
semeiotic" as a branch of phaneroscopy is not *Peirce's* classification of
the sciences. After all, "nobody can claim that anything other than an
exact quotation is what Peirce intended."

The last quotation is, of course, something that John himself wrote.

I have myself been at pains to make it clear that De Tienne's and my
suggestions as to the possible development of phenomenology in the 21st
century most certainly "go beyond'' anything Peirce wrote, while I believe
they are not incompatible with his writings on phaneroscopy/ phenomenology.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror