Gary R., Gary F., List:

GR: My reservations for now: (1) again, I do not see the use of quali-,
sin-, and legisense in phenomenology as conflating aspects of it with
quali-, sin-, and legisign in logic as semeiotic, but as revealing the
underlying influence (which is not a conflation, as 'sense' and 'sign' are
two very different concepts) of the ideas and terminology found in
phenomenology on those which appear logic as semeiotic;

I did not say that the terminology of "qualisense," "sinsense," and
"legisense" conflates phaneroscopy with semeiotic, I said that it *runs the
risk of fostering* such conflation.

GR: (2) primisense/altersense/medisense are yet three 'novel' terms to add
to the already problematic neologistist terminology employed by Peirce.

True, but "sinsense" and "legisense" are even more novel (and arguably even
more problematic) as terms that Peirce himself never used. With that in
mind, consider this passage from his text on the ethics of terminology.

CSP: [W]hen a man has introduced a conception into science, it naturally
becomes both his privilege and his duty to assign to that conception
suitable scientific expressions, and that when a name has been conferred
upon a conception by him to whose labors science is indebted for that
conception, it becomes the duty of all,--a duty to the discoverer, and a
duty to science,--to accept his name, unless it should be of such a nature
that the adoption of it would be unwholesome for science; that should the
discoverer fail in his duty either by giving no name or an utterly
unsuitable one, then, after a reasonable interval, whoever first has
occasion to employ a name for that conception must invent a suitable one;
and others ought to follow him; but that whoever deliberately uses a word
or other symbol in any other sense than that which was conferred upon it by
its sole rightful creator commits a shameful offense against the inventor
of the symbol and against science, and it becomes the duty of the others to
treat the act with contempt and indignation. (CP 2.224, EP 2:265, 1903)

In short, we should *not *invent new names for conceptions that he (or
anyone else) has already introduced into science under other names, unless
those original names are "utterly unsuitable." Accordingly, if we wish to
preserve "qualisense" from 1909, it should be accompanied by "molition" and
"habit-consciousness" as in that same passage, rather than the neologisms
"sinsense" and "legisense." On the other hand, if we wish to preserve
"-sense" as the consistent root word for all three categories, then we
should stick with "primisense," "altersense," and "medisense" from c. 1896.
Or I suppose that we could replace "primisense" with "qualisense" as a
later and more descriptive alternative, giving us
qualisense/altersense/medisense as a trichotomy that is even more
suggestive of quality/reaction/mediation applied specifically to
consciousness.

GF: The hard part of phaneroscopy is not to allow the prior naming of
things to interfere with the observation, where Firstness has to be
predominant. And that makes it hard to even talk about it.

Indeed, this is another way of highlighting the distinction that Gary F.
properly (in my view) draws between observation and generalization as tasks
of phaneroscopy; or perhaps as tasks of phenomenology as the broader
science, with phanersocopy corresponding to observation and trichotomic
category theory to generalization. However, since 1ns is predominant in the
former and 3ns in the latter, the question arises--in what additional task
of phenomenology is 2ns predominant? De Tienne's iconoscopy does not strike
me as a good fit here, and in any case, he states plainly in his paper
about it (
https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/rssi/2013-v33-n1-2-3-rssi02379/1035282ar.pdf)
that he *is not* proposing it as an additional branch in Peirce's
classification of the sciences.

ADT: This somewhat new word is not intended to point out a flaw in Peirce’s
classification of the sciences by demonstrating that we need to add one
more science between phaneroscopy and the normative sciences, especially
semeiotic. Indeed there is no need to do so. The real intention is to show
that, precisely because of the nature of the connection between
phaneroscopy and semeiotic, and especially of the transition between
phaneron and sign, one needs to surmise that there exists a type of
activity that is common to both, that that activity must have to do, as
already suggested, with icons and iconic signs, and that a good name for
that transitional activity is iconoscopy, that is, the activity of
selecting portions of the phaneron for the sake of reducing them to
representational unity. ... Iconoscopy is not a science ... . Being
transitional, iconoscopy goes on both in phaneroscopy and in semeiotic ...
(p. 26)

On the other hand, Daniel Campos has written about *mathematical *reasoning
requiring three faculties--imagination, concentration, and generalization (
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236711950_Imagination_Concentration_and_Generalization_Peirce_on_the_Reasoning_Abilities_of_the_Mathematician).
As I have pointed out before, phaneroscopy is not *limited *to observation,
but also includes imagination as another source of whatever is or could be
present to the mind. Put another way, a key difference between mathematics
and phaneroscopy is the *addition *of (external) observation to (internal)
imagination, which is what makes the latter a *positive *science while the
former is not.

In any case, according to Peirce, "mathematics requires a certain vigor of
thought, the power of concentration of attention, so as to hold before the
mind a highly complex image, and keep it steady enough to be observed" (CP
2.81, 1902). Campos suggests that it is equivalent to what Peirce calls
"ratiocination" in this other passage.

CSP: The main advantages of the study of mathematics consist, on the one
hand, in furnishing rules very useful for application to many practical
problems, and on the other hand, in disciplining the intellect in three
functions. The first of these is mathematical imagination, the power of
distinctly picturing to ourselves intricate configurations. The second is
ratiocination, or the ability to take up a problem, bring it to a
convenient shape for study, make out the gist of it, and ascertain without
mistake just what it does and does not involve. The third, and by far the
most valuable exercize mathematics affords, even from a utilitarian point
of view, lies in generalization, by which we are led to see that what seems
at first a snarl of intricate circumstances is but a fragment of a
harmonious and comprehensible whole. (R 252:19, no date)

Peirce goes on the mention "the severe effort of attention it requires,"
and as Gary F. noted, mathematical reasoning--drawing necessary conclusions
about hypothetical states of things--is the *logica utens* that we employ
within phaneroscopy. I suggest accordingly that "the hard part of
phaneroscopy" is more a matter of concentration/attention than
observation/imagination. The latter is going on all the time, which is the
sense in which we are all (at least potentially) phaneroscopists; but
*concentrating
*on the phaneron and giving it our undivided *attention *without allowing
"the prior naming of things [or anything else] to interfere with the
observation" is the real challenge.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian