André De Tienne: “a science that happens to make use of a principle
formulated in a more abstract science … may provide that prior science with
corrective feedback, reasons to revise generalizations, and reasons to
redesign formal possibilities. Thus, a science may also be said to precede
another science if the latter provides such a critical and validating
feedback in return.” (slide 17)

GF: Apparently a science may precede another not only in this hierarchical
sense but also in a procedural sense:

CSP: “Having thus settled what the phaneron is, we have to undertake the
examination [of] its indecomposable constituents. But before undertaking the
actual work of observation, it is indispensable that we should begin by
considering what is possible for otherwise we would be exploring without any
definite field to explore. We should idly wonder without accomplishing
anything.” (MS 284, p. 39, c. 1905, as quoted by Francesco Bellucci — the
emphasis is his — in
https://www.academia.edu/11664897/Peirce_on_Phaneroscopical_Analysis).

GF: The procedural order here is:

1.      settling “what the phaneron is”
2.      “considering what is possible” [by means of a formal or mathematical
logic?]
3.      “undertaking the actual work of observation” [i.e. phaneroscpic
observation]

This leaves open the question of how to classify the science — if it is a
science — which enables us to “settle” what the phaneron is. Bellucci
appears to argue that it is the logic of relatives, taking a cue (as it
were) from the idea of valency generalized from the science of chemistry.

Gary f.

Text of slide 17:

2. The principle of critical inductive validation and correction

The order of logical dependency implies that a science that happens to make
use of a principle formulated in a more abstract science,

either by manifesting instantiations of such principles,

or by putting the clouds of possibilities, freely played with in the more
abstract sciences, “through their exercises,” thus through the test of
real-world actualizations,