Helmut, list

        I've known Stan Salthe for many years. His email, if I recall, is

        ssal...@binghampton.edu [1]

        He writes primarily in the biosemiotics field; strange that 'The
Powers' on this list consider that I am, to quote, 'long discredited
in the biosemiotics field' - and a 'pseudo-Peircean' ---  but Stan
frequently references me in both areas.

        I don't consider him a deep follower of Peirce - and so, don't know
what he  would feel about your proposal, Helmut. I, myself, don't
think that it has a strong Peircean grounding because the categories,
as 'modes of being', are about the nature of the relations those
'modes of being' engage in.

        Edwina
 On Mon 19/07/21  6:04 AM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
 Gary, Gary, List   There is a paper about systems Hierarchies by
Stanley N. Salthe: "Salthe ´12 Axiomathes.pdf". I have it, but I
don´t know, if it is ok. to pass it on here? That would be like
publishing it without permission. I cannot find his Email-adress,
maybe you have it, and can ask him?   My post was not an outline in
the sense of an abstract, it was just an idea, that we can elaborate
together, if you want. I was asking myself, how can a phenomenon as
firstness, in the primisense state, not consist of parts. Then
"composition" came into my mind, as it doesn´t have parts.    I
don´t know, if Stanley N. Sathe would agree with my proposal of
assigning categories to the systems hierarchies, and with the third
hierarchy "definition, 2ns" I proposed.   Best, Helmut      18. Juli
2021 um 22:15 Uhr
  "Gary Richmond"
 wrote:           Helmut, Gary F, List,   I do find this "systems
hierarchies" approach intriguing although I know it only
superficially. I haven't studied it so that I can't yet see how it
directly relates to phaneroscopy, at least from your brief outline.
 I vaguely recall some discussion of Salthe's work relating to
"systems hierarchies" on the biosemiotics list a number of years ago,
and I believe that Gary Fuhrman knows Salthe's work rather well.
Indeed they co-authored a paper on what appears, however, to be an
unrelated topic. See: 'The Cosmic Bellows: The Big Bang and the
Second Law’ (with lead author Stanley N. Salthe) in  Cosmos and
History: The Journal of Natural and Social Philosophy, vol. 1, no. 2,
2005. Abstract with link to full text at  www.cosmosandhistory.org.

THERE ARE ALSO A NUMBER OF REFERENCES TO SALTHE\'S WORK SCATTERED
THROUGHOUT GARY  BOOK, TURNING SIGNS. SEE:
HTTPS://WWW.GNUSYSTEMS.CA/TS/INDEX.HTML [2] IF YOU ENTER SALTHE\'S
NAME IN THE \'SEARCH\' BAR ON THIS PAGE YOU\'LL BE BROUGHT TO A PAGE
WHICH LISTS SALT HE\'S WORK REFERENCED IN TURNING SIGNS AND THE
CHAPTERS IN TS IN WHICH SALTHE\'S WORK IS DISCUSSED.
SO, PERHAPS GARY F HAS SOME HELPFUL THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER.

   Best,   Gary R

“LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
 BEAUTY AND TERROR
 JUST KEEP GOING
 NO FEELING IS FINAL”
 ― RAINER MARIA RILKE

   Gary Richmond Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication
Studies LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
                            On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Helmut
Raulien  wrote:    Gary, List   About the categories in phaneroscopy,
and how they derive or not from logic and mathematics, I think that
the systems hierarchies "composition" and "subsumption" (Stanley N.
Salthe) can be used, with the third hierarchy "definition" that I am
suggesting:   Composition (1ns) is not collection, but the way the
parts of the appearance are collected. A collection consists of
parts, but a composition does not, because there is only one way of
composition in a certain composition. So a composition as a
phenomenon has no parts, is firstness.   Definition (2ns) means what
a composition is. So it consists of two parts: The entity
composition, and what it is. What is secondness (standing against)
here, is the appearance of a border. Nevertheless up to here it is
positive logic, because merely the inside of the border is regarded.
 Subsumption or classification (3ns) has three parts: The composition,
that what it is, and all that it not is. with this latter exclusion,
negative logic (negation) comes into the game.   This view of a
phenomenon is, that it does not consist of directly depicted things,
but rather of the hierarchies that connect them and themselves (the
hierarchies). From this view, reversed, the hypothesis may be
derived, that the original things have no existence in themselves,
but are products of their positions in these hierarchies, and can be
backwards-identified from this categorial arrangement of hierarchies.
But this is only a hypothesis: Perhaps the backwards-identification is
blurred and incorrect, like intuition is often incorrect and not
precise.   Best, Helmut        18. Juli 2021 um 05:27 Uhr
  "Gary Richmond"
 wrote:            Jon, List   Jon wrote:              [I]t appears
that Atkins is right not to see much difference between "the -adicity
of relative terms themselves" and "propositional forms." Nevertheless,
both terms and propositions are obviously signs, and I believe that it
is important to maintain the distinction between the  formal logic of
relations/relatives as pure mathematics and its application to terms
and propositions within the normative science of logic as semeiotic.
(Emphasis added by GR)              I whole-heartedly agree that
making this distinction is essential. Yet, in my experience there are
discussions of the logic of relatives as purportedly providing the
mathematical principles which will become the basis for
phenomenologists expecting to find -- and subsequently actually
finding examples of manifestations of the Universal Categories --
which seem to me to, at very least, blur the important distinction
you make above. Occasionally I've had a sense  that an author is  not
discussing pure mathematics, the simplest mathematics (including the
logic of relatives) but, rather, exactly the applications of these to
logic as semeiotic. In the days and weeks ahead I'll offer examples of
this, perhaps including some from Atkins' book.   You quoted Peirce as
writing, "The Phaneron [is] itself far too elusive for direct
observation."    But then what are we to make of Peirce's directing
us elsewhere to phaneroscopic observations of qualities of feeling,
to existential actions/reactions, to representations,  thoughts,
signs, say: 1ns (e.g., a red color), or 2ns (the manifestation of a
dual action, e.g., a loud sound suddenly breaking the silence), or
3ns (e.g., thoughts of these as signs of 1ns and 2ns)? Does Peirce
not argue elsewhere that it is possible to phenomenologically observe
whatever comes before the mind  unencumbered by mathematical
(including valentally structural) or logical thoughts?    The
quotation continues:    What, in a general way, does the Diagram of
Existential Graphs represent the mode of structure of the Phaneron to
be like? The question calls for a comparison, and in answering it a
little flight of fancy will be in order. It represents the structure
of the Phaneron to be quite like that of a chemical compound. ...
Each Elementary Graph, like each chemical element, has its definite
Valency. . .    In my opinion, valency and the reduction thesis are,
in themselves, not at all sufficient to establish phenomenology as a
science; let's say that they are necessary, but not sufficient. No
doubt one can employ EGs to analyze phenomenological manifestations
after the fact of phaneroscopic observation. But monadicity,
dyadicity, and triadicity are totally void of content. They are,
indeed, the "modes of structure" of the phaneron for Peirce. But it
would seem to me that he contradicts himself here (in consideration
of  many other discussions) in saying  that "the Phaneron [is] itself
far too elusive for direct observation." If that were so, then
phaneroscopy would amount to, well, virtually nothing: it would be
empty of content. I'm fairly certain that there are some logicians
who hold that view.    But isn't such "direct observation" the method
-- and in a sense -- the very essence of phaneroscopy?   Best,   Gary
“LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
 BEAUTY AND TERROR
 JUST KEEP GOING
 NO FEELING IS FINAL”
 ― RAINER MARIA RILKE

   Gary Richmond Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication
Studies LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
                       On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:42 PM Jon Alan
Schmidt  wrote:   Gary R., List:      GR: Is it in that "next
chapter" that Peirce takes up the logic of relations?      This seems
to have been the plan that he had in mind when he was writing "The
Simplest Mathematics" as chapter 3 of Minute Logic (R 429, CP
4.227-323, 1902).      CSP: In this chapter, I propose to consider
certain extremely simple branches of mathematics which, owing to
their utility in logic, have to be treated in considerable detail,
although to the mathematician they are hardly worth consideration. In
Chapter 4, I shall take up those branches of mathematics upon which
the interest of mathematicians is centred, but shall do no more than
make a rapid examination of their logical procedure. In Chapter 5, I
shall treat formal logic by the aid of mathematics. There can really
be little logical matter in these chapters; but they seem to me to be
quite indispensable preliminaries to the study of logic. (CP 4.227)
  There are at least two other manuscript drafts of chapter 3 (R
430-431), but the manuscripts for chapter 4 (R 432-434) all bear a
very different title--"Ethics"--and there are no manuscripts
catalogued by Robin for chapter 5. However, in one of the manuscripts
for How to Reason: A Critick of Arguments (1893)--which is supposed to
be published in its entirety someday as Volume 10 of the Chronological
Edition--Peirce states, "We now come to the Logic of Relations ...
which was only brought to essential completion in 1884" (R 481:5). In
an accompanying footnote, he cites his own landmark paper, "On the
Algebra of Logic: A Contribution to the Philosophy of Notation" (CP
3.359-403, 1885); but "logic of relations" never appears in that
text, only "logic of relatives." He proceeds to explain why.
CSP: A relation is precisely defined as a fact about several
subjects. A fact is an element of the truth expressible as a
proposition. As all logic deals with relations, it is more accurate
to describe the branch of logic which I am going to expound as the
logic of relatives, i.e. relative terms. Relations as relatives are
either dual, as in "A loves B" or plural, as "A gives B to C." (R
481:5)      Hence, it appears that Atkins is right not to see much
difference between "the -adicity of relative terms themselves" and
"propositional forms." Nevertheless, both terms and propositions are
obviously signs, and I believe that it is important to maintain the
distinction between the formal logic of relations/relatives as pure
mathematics and its application to terms and propositions within the
normative science of logic as semeiotic. Of course, Peirce was
writing  Minute Logic right about the time when he first fully
recognized the need to insert phenomenology/phaneroscopy, esthetics,
and ethics into his classification of the sciences between
mathematics and (normative) logic--a major revision to his earlier
outline, in which logic as the first branch of empirics comes right
after mathematics.   Again, Bellucci suggests that Existential Graphs
are the "best notational expression" of the logic of relatives. It
thus seems plausible to view Peirce's abundant writings about EGs as
replacing whatever he might otherwise have written about the logic of
relations/relatives in the missing chapters 4 and 5 of Minute Logic.
Moreover, as Gary F. reminds us occasionally, Peirce considers EGs to
be a highly useful tool not only for logic, but also for phaneroscopy.
     CSP: Let us call the collective whole of all that could ever be
present to the mind in any way or in any sense, the Phaneron. ... The
Phaneron being itself far too elusive for direct observation, there
can be no better method of studying it than through the Diagram of it
which the System of Existential Graphs puts at our disposition. ...
What, in a general way, does the Diagram of Existential Graphs
represent the mode of structure of the Phaneron to be like? The
question calls for a comparison, and in answering it a little flight
of fancy will be in order. It represents the structure of the
Phaneron to be quite like that of a chemical compound. ... Each
Elementary Graph, like each chemical element, has its definite
Valency ... . This is resemblance enough. (NEM 4:320-321, 1906)
Regards,        Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA Structural
Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [6] - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt