Edwina,

Yes.  That is a major advantage of diagrams:

ET> I agree that diagrams are more fundamental than words, since
their
attributes are less open to multiple interpretations.  That
includes
both the written and spoken word, with the latter overlaid
with
meanings provided by tone and rhythm and the former open to
many
misinterpretations because of the lack of both.  [As we find in
email
and text messages].

The phaneron, as initially
experienced, is independent of any bias.
But every step of
interpreting the experience adds biases from
the individual's
conscious knowledge, unconscious habits, cultural
traditions, and
linguistic constraints of vocabulary, syntax, and
semantics.  Those
biases may be good, bad, or neutral.

As an example, the
subjects for a psycholinguistic experiment
were asked to sort
photographs into similar groups, according
to any grouping they
considered relevant.  Some of the
subjects happened to be native
speakers of Yoruba, which has
a color classification that is very
different from English
and other European languages.

After
the subjects did their sorting, the experimenter said
"Think in
Yoruba."  The subjects laughed and immediately resorted
the
photographs in a completely different grouping.  When they
switched
from thinking in English to thinking in Yoruba, they
completely
reorganized their interpretations.

And by the way, I also cc'd
a note to Peirce-L, which I had sent
to Ontolog Forum with the title
"Modal Logic is an Immense
Swamp".  That note addresses
issues about logic for which
Peirce's writings are still at the
forefront of  research today.

Before reading that note, I
recommend the slides I cited in it:
http://jfsowa.com/talks/eswc.pdf

1. For a brief overview of
existential graphs, skip to slides
14 to 21 of escw.pdf.

2. For issues about mapping English (and other languages) to EGs,
see slides 21 to 35.

3. For the differences between thinking
in diagrams and thinking
in words, see slides 36 to 52.

complete the loop, I'm also cc'ing this note to Ontolog Forum.

John