}Robert, List

        1] What?! Language is fascist?! Does he even know what the term
means? Most people who fling out this term have no understanding of
its meaning. No, he's ignoring the work of, if I recall, someone like
Michel Breal, who focused on language or speech as a living, almost
biological reality that changed as its users changed. And Bakhtin's
dialogic emphasis - as well as Peirce's dialogue and triad.

        You wrote:" language is a powerful filter in the expression of
thought, while diagrams, which depend only on universal (or almost
universal) graphic conventions, are virtually free of any influence."
 Yes - language/speech ties meaning to its immediate users.

        2] I agree with your pointing out this obligation to find a 'formal
mathematized model and look for it in the "mathematical repository."
Without such grounds - as you point out, we become sophists or
'bricoleurs'.

        4] The answer is obvious.

        Edwina
 On Sun 25/07/21 11:21 AM , robert marty robert.mart...@gmail.com
sent:
        Dear John, List

        Your message leads me to multiple questions, which, in my opinion,
raise fundamental problems.
        1. JS > "Different people have different ways of thinking and
talking."
         Yes, but the individuals, as a whole, do not think nor speak
independently of each other; diverse common cultural codes connect
them learned, inculcated like languages and signs organized in
systems; for a significant part of them, they are imposed (symbolic
violence). The semiologist Roland Barthes in his speech of reception,
remained famous to the College of France (1977), denounced the
languages as follows: "Language, as the performance of all language,
is neither reactionary nor progressive; it is quite simply fascist;
for fascism is not to prevent saying, it is to oblige to say." This
is obviously a figure of exaggeration. However, it reflects that
languages incorporate worldviews common to the people who use them
natively (the Hegelian weltanschauung). For my part, I put this quote
from Peirce at the beginning of my Ph.D. (1987): "All speech is but
such an algebra, the repeated signs being the words, which have
relations by virtue of the meanings associated with them."(CP 3.418).
The fundamental distinction I share with you between thinking in words
and thinking in diagrams thus results from the fact that language is a
powerful filter in the expression of thought, while diagrams, which
depend only on universal (or almost universal) graphic conventions,
are virtually free of any influence.

         2. JS > "Phenomenology, phaneroscopy, or phenoscopy is the first
stage of analyzing and interpreting the phaneron in diagrams.  It
depends on the three branches of mathematics (formal logic, discrete
math, and continuous math) to derive and classify the elements and
patterns of elements."

        I agree, but I add that there are two ways to situate these
observations:
        ·         either in the "Practical Sciences"( i.e.: "scientific
inquiry with an ulterior end (1911) "- "for the uses of life",- "e.g.
science of morality (ethics in common sense) "(see The outline of
Peirce's classification of sciences (1902-1911) compiled by Tommi
Vehkavaara)
        ·         either in the "Sciences of Discovery" in which they
depend on mathematics. Then we have to consider a formal mathematized
model and look for it in the "mathematical repository."
         Question: If we find such a model (which is very easy considering
only Peirce's definitions and what he says about the interdependence
between the universal categories by involvement), don't we have an
obligation to take it into account all along its deployment with
Phenomenology in the first line, because the dependence of
Phaneroscopy to Mathematics becomes quite explicit? Otherwise, won't
we remain confined to the Practical Sciences in the company of the
eternal conservative-bricoleurs?

        3. JS  > "The patterns are possibilities (hypotheses or guesses)
whose probability is evaluated by the normative sciences." The
syntactic mathematical model having been implemented in the universal
categories become a semantic model. It appears then constitutive of
phaneroscopy as a universal science of discovery; it is neither
hypothesis nor enigma, because it does not have to be submitted to an
evaluation, being exact by nature in all locations and at all times,
unlike the experimental models whose universality must be verified.

        The above argumentation is clearly in line with the framework below
extracted from The Structure of Scientific Theories (Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy) :

        "A table helps summarize general aspects of the three views’
analyses of the structure of scientific theories:
        Syntactic View

        Semantic View

        Pragmatic View
        Theory Structure

        Uninterpreted axiomatic system

        (i) State-space,
   (ii) Model-/set-theoretic

        Internal and external pluralism
        Theory Interpretation

        Correspondence rules

        (i) Hierarchy of models,
   (ii) Similarity,
   (iii) Isomorphism

        (i) Structure already inflected by practice,   function, and
application
   (ii) Pragmatic virtues
        Is theory interpretation an aspect of theory   structure?

        Yes

        No

        Yes, although the distinction is hard to make.
        Table 2.  General aspects of each view’s analysis of the structure
of scientific theories."

        4. RM > his leads me finally to a final question to be discussed:
should the classification of sciences according to Peirce be
considered as a kind of imperative to be respected or can
phenomenology be approached from the logic that depends on it
according to this classification?Honorary Professor; Ph.D.
Mathematics; Ph.D. Philosophy
  fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty [1]
 https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ [2]
 Le sam. 24 juil. 2021 à 04:28, John F. Sowa < s...@bestweb.net [3]>