Gary F, List,

I know I'm not alone in wishing that more of Peirce's correspondence were
published sooner than later. It seems to me that occasionally certain
matters appear more clearly -- as simply or more directly -- expressed in
that informal medium than in papers published or in draft form. For
example, in the letter to James from which you posted an excerpt today we
read:

CSP: The standards of certainty must be different in different sciences,
the principles to which one science appeals altogether different from those
of the other. From the point of view of logic and methodical development
the distinctions are of the greatest concern. Phenomenology has no right to
appeal to logic, except to deductive logic. On the contrary, logic must be
founded on phenomenology.

One can, of course, disagree with him in this matter; but it is clear that
this is indeed Peirce's view: *logic* (as semeiotic) *is necessarily
"founded on phenomenology" and not vice versa*. And, of course, in this
particular case the view expressed in the letter is supported by other more
formal writings.

Somewhat less frequently one finds a passage in a letter of his which can
give one pause. For example, in this very same letter he comments:

CSP: I am not sure that it will do to call this science *phenomenology* owing
to Hegel's *Phänomenologie* being somewhat different. But I am not sure
that Hegel ought not to have it named after his attempt.

Now some, for example JAS, might argue that as this was not his published
view, and since he both expresses uncertainty in the matter as well as
ultimately settling on 'phaneroscopy' as the preferred name of the science
he's developing, that we too should call Peirce's science (or 'science
egg') *phaneroscopy.* Yet, in the ethics of terminology an important point
is being made here by Peirce, namely, that the *origina*l attempt to
develop this *sort* of phenomenology (even if it is "somewhat different")
was, in fact, Hegel's.

Well, as you no doubt know, I tend to imagine that a fully developed
Peircean phenomenology will quasi-necessarily have branches, and that *if*
this eventually comes to be the case that it would make some sense -- even
in terms of the ethics of terminology just commented on -- to refer to the
entire science as *phenomenology*, and only the first methodological branch
of it as *phaneroscopy*.

But I say this only in passing as I also am eager to see what direction the
slow read goes now that there does appear to be some progress towards
agreement on at least certain principles.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror