Robert, List:

RM: This is a shameful manipulation that everyone can see. It offends
scientific ethics.

There is nothing shameful, manipulative, offensive, unscientific, or
unethical about highlighting and emphasizing a portion of a direct
quotation to make a particular point, especially in a context where it is
being ignored or at least discounted. It is incontrovertible that according
to Peirce in CP 3.559 (and elsewhere), the mathematician frames a pure
hypothesis *without inquiring or caring whether it agrees with the actual
facts or not.*

RM: All these absolutely disloyal practices that Bernard Morand has just
denounced ...

Disloyal to whom? What matters here is being faithful to *Peirce's own
texts* when attributing specific views to him. Why not just acknowledge
disagreement with him where one thinks that he got something wrong?

RM: ... after many others, and not the least, such as John Sowa, whose
awareness of Peirce and scientific stature is indisputable,

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, and Peirce sharply contrasts the
method of authority with the method of science.

RM: I note that the debate has fallen to a level unworthy of Charles S.
Peirce to whom this list is dedicated, and this without any moral authority
intervening.

I agree, but we presumably have very different perceptions of who is
responsible for the degradation of the discourse here. Besides, the only
relevant "moral authority" is the List moderator, Gary Richmond, and it is
entirely up to him whether, when, and how to intervene.

RM: However, I am not going to give up... simply, I would not waste another
minute fighting arguments biased by such practices...

In other words, a *substantive *rebuttal is not possible, so instead there
is yet another emotional rant full of baseless allegations and empty
complaints.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian