Jack, List:

Indeed, Peirce distinguishes *dynamical *objects and interpretants from
*immediate *objects and interpretants, and he also distinguishes
*genuine *signs
(symbols) from *degenerate *signs (indices and icons). Although the
*principles *of phaneroscopy are employed in drawing these distinctions,
they only arise within the normative science of logic as
semeiotic--specifically its first branch, speculative grammar--rather than
within phaneroscopy itself.

I agree with Gary F.'s endorsement of EP 1-2 as the best place to start for
reading Peirce's own words. As for the secondary literature, I typically
recommend the following.

   - John K. Sheriff, *Charles Peirce's Guess at the Riddle: Grounds for
   Human Significance* (1994)
   - Kelly A. Parker, *The Continuity of Peirce's Thought* (1998)
   - Paul Forster, *Peirce and the Threat of Nominalism* (2011)
   - Robert Lane, *Peirce on Realism and Idealism* (2017)
   - Francesco Bellucci, *Peirce's Speculative Grammar: Logic as Semiotics*
    (2018)

In my opinion, Parker's volume is still the best overall introduction to
Peirce's comprehensive thought.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian