Gary F., List:

GF: Peirce does not say in CP 4.551 that the two minds are welded in
the *uttered
*sign itself.

To what other sign could he be referring in that passage? Every sign has a
quasi-utterer and a quasi-interpreter, and those two quasi-minds are at one
in the sign itself--namely, the specific sign that is uttered by the
quasi-utterer and interpreted by the quasi-interpreter.

GF: Indeed, by your own reasoning, I don’t see how a determination of the
mind of the interpreter can be *included *in a discrete sign whose
utterance precedes the effectual interpretant.

Right, on my reading of EP 2:478, the uttered sign--including its immediate
interpretant, which is the communicational interpretant--is a determination
of the commind, while the intentional interpretant is a *previous
*determination
of the mind of the utterer, and the effectual interpretant is a *subsequent
*determination of the mind of the interpreter.

GF: In the language of “Peirce’s Topical Continuum”, the *uttered *sign is
of a lower dimensionality than the continuous dialogue of which it is a
part, which is itself an argument. An uttered sign can be regarded (in
binocular vision) either as a topical singularity in the continuum (a break
in it) or as a “limit” which joins two portions of the continuum.

At the moment, I am more inclined to view the uttered sign as a *portion*
of the continuous process of semiosis, such that it is of the *same*
dimensionality as the dialogue of which it is a part, while its
"boundaries" are the arbitrary limits of lower dimensionality that we mark
off for the purpose of analysis. However, I have suggested previously that
a proposition is of lower dimensionality than an argument, and that a name
is of lower dimensionality than a proposition. When describing a continuous
process of inference by means of an argumentation in retrospect, we mark
off portions of the argument with propositions as their limits, and we mark
off portions of each proposition with names as their limits.

GF: The way I see it, a communicative dialogue, if genuine, must be the
sign of higher dimensionality which includes all three (intentional,
effectual, and communicational) interpretants.

Peirce's terminology of intentional/effectual/communicational interpretants
is only strictly applicable to an individual sign for which we can identify
one mind as the utterer and another mind as the interpreter. That makes it
very suitable for each utterance *within *a communicative dialogue,
including a text, as well as an entire *internal *dialogue where the
quasi-utterer and quasi-interpreter are temporally sequential stages
of the *same
*mind. In the case of an entire *external *dialogue, where the utterer and
interpreter are different minds that are constantly *exchanging *those
roles back and forth with respect to each succeeding constituent sign, I
suggest that the two of them *together* serve as both the quasi-utterer and
the quasi-interpreter--temporally sequential stages of the *commind *into
which they are "fused" or "welded" in the dialogue as a whole, which is the
sign.

GF: I guess that would make them all *immediate *interpretants, since they
are all *in *the sign?

Only the communicational interpretant is *internal *to the uttered sign,
such that it is the *immediate *interpretant of *that *sign. The
intentional interpretant is always a *dynamical *interpretant of a *previous
*sign in the mind of the utterer, although it may be "betrayed" in the
immediate interpretant of the uttered sign. The effectual interpretant
is a *dynamical
*interpretant of the uttered sign in the mind of the interpreter. All this
is true even for an entire internal or external dialogue--only the
communicational interpretant is internal to it, while the intentional
interpretant precedes it and the effectual interpretant succeeds it.

GF: But I’m finding it hard to breathe in this rarified atmosphere of
abstractions, so I’d better stop now before I expire.

Okay, how about we take a look at some concrete examples?

1. Your post quoted below, to which I am replying, is obviously a sign. You
are the utterer of that sign, and I am its interpreter. The intentional
interpretant is not an interpretant of *that *sign, it is a dynamical
interpretant of *previous *signs in *your *mind (including my previous
post), such that your post was a dynamical interpretant of those previous
signs. The communicational interpretant is the immediate interpretant of
your post, which is common to both of us insofar as we are both competent
in the written English language. The effectual interpretant is the
dynamical interpretant of your post in *my *mind, including this post that
*I* wrote as a result of it.

2. Likewise, this post is obviously a sign. I am the utterer of this sign,
and you are its interpreter. The intentional interpretant is not an
interpretant of *this *sign, it is a dynamical interpretant of *previous *signs
in *my *mind (including your post quoted below), such that this post is a
dynamical interpretant of those previous signs. The communicational
interpretant is the immediate interpretant of this post, which is common to
both of us insofar as we are both competent in the written English
language. The effectual interpretant is the dynamical interpretant of this
post in *your *mind, including any future post that *you *write as a result
of it.

3. Our entire *series *of posts over the last few days is an external
dialogue that constitutes one sign. The two of us *together *are its
quasi-utterer as well as its quasi-interpreter. The intentional
interpretant is not an interpretant of *this *sign, it is a dynamical
interpretant of *previous *signs in *our *minds (including Peirce's texts),
such that our dialogue is a dynamical interpretant of those previous signs.
The communicational interpretant is the immediate interpretant of our
dialogue, which is common to both of us insofar as we are both competent in
the written English language. The effectual interpretant is the dynamical
interpretant of our dialogue in *our *minds, including any future posts
that *we *write as a result of it.

4. Since we are conducting our external dialogue by means of an e-mail
list, there are additional interpreters of that one sign, namely, all those
reading along. The intentional interpretant is still a dynamical
interpretant of previous signs in *our* minds (yours and mine), such that
our dialogue is still a dynamical interpretant of those previous signs. The
communicational interpretant is still the immediate interpretant of our
dialogue, which is common to us along with those other readers insofar as
we are all competent in the written English language. The effectual
interpretant is the dynamical interpretant of our dialogue in the
minds of *those
other **readers*, including any future posts that *they *write as a result
of it.

Of course, #1 and #2 are constituent signs of #3 and #4, and each can also
be analyzed as consisting of "smaller" signs, which can also be analyzed as
consisting of "smaller" signs, and so on *ad infinitum*. Moreover, #3 and
#4 are constituent signs of the Peirce-L archive, which can also be
analyzed as a constituent of a "larger" sign, which can also be analyzed as
a constituent of a "larger" sign, and so on until we reach the entire
universe as one sign, a vast semiosic continuum.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian