Gary F., List:

GF: I was thinking that my top-down approach to these issues (based loosely
on the “connected signs theorem” and your post on “Semiosic Synechism”)
would turn out to be complementary to your bottom-up approach in this
thread, analogous to the complementary views of light as waves and/or
particles, but I guess that doesn’t work.

In what sense do you consider my approach in this exchange to be
"bottom-up" rather than "top-down"? I have stated more than once that
any *individual
*sign that we choose to analyze is an artifact of that very analysis, since
we arbitrarily mark it off within the *real *process of semiosis, which is
always continuous.

GF: Can we generalize from this to say that only an *individual *sign (i.e.
a discrete and *existing *sign, a token or sinsign) has three interpretants?

Which three interpretants do you have in mind? Again, I see the
communicational and effectual interpretants respectively as the immediate
and dynamical interpretants of the *uttered *sign, determinations of the
commind and the interpreter's mind; and I see the intentional interpretant
as a dynamical interpretant of *previous *signs, determinations of the
utterer's mind that are connected such that they can have that one
*actual *interpretant
(CP 4.550). More generally, I have suggested in the past that the immediate
interpretant pertains to each *type *of a sign, the dynamical interpretant
to each *token *of a type, and the final interpretant to the sign *itself*--the
idea being that one sign can have different types within different sign
systems, such as "man" in English vs. "homme" in French--but I might need
to rethink that theoretical scheme in light of recent discussions.

GF: That would explain why your “Semiosic Synechism” post only mentions one
interpretant of the “one sign” that results “if any signs are connected, no
matter how.” Is this another consequence of the connected signs theorem? If
so, could we also say that only an *individual *sign has two objects
(immediate and dynamic), while the one sign which is a semiosic "perfect
continuum" has only one?

No, I believe that every sign--including the entire universe, conceived as
"a vast representamen" that "is perfused with signs, if it is not composed
exclusively of signs"--has two objects and three interpretants, but I did
not attempt to sort them out in that post (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-10/msg00204.html). The
immediate object is *internal *to the sign, the object as represented *in
that sign*, while the dynamical object is *external *to the sign, the
object as it is *in itself*. The immediate interpretant is *internal *to
the sign, the interpretant as represented *in that sign*, while the
dynamical interpretant is any *actual *effect of that sign and the final
interpretant is the *ideal* effect of that sign. I have my own opinions
about the external correlates in the case of the entire universe, but they
tend to be controversial and are not essential to the topic of *this *
thread.

GF: If those two suggestions don’t work, perhaps you can propose some other
general principle that we can salvage from this failure of communication.

At the risk of belaboring the point, the most salient general principle
here is that we can *only *discuss objects and interpretants in relation to
a *particular *sign. In other words, the first step of semeiotic analysis
is always demarcating the sign of interest by prescinding it from the
continuous process of semiosis, thus marking it off as an *ens rationis*.
Only then can we examine that quasi-individual sign to apprehend its
immediate object and interpretant, from which we attempt to identify what
dynamical object it is denoting and understand what *about *that object it
is signifying. Again, the dynamical interpretant is any *actual *effect of
the sign of interest, while the final interpretant is its *ideal *effect.
Accordingly, semeiotic is a *normative *science in the sense that the *aim*
of every interpreter of a given sign *ought *to be correctly recognizing
its dynamical object *and *conforming one's dynamical interpretant to its
final interpretant.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian