List,

>From MS 498, undated  (transcription Ahti-Veiko Pietarinen, DOI
10.1007/s11229-014-0498-y) :

"

*I may remark that in no science, not even in comparative anatomy, are
questions ofclassification so vital as they are in phaneroscopy and
semeiotics. My classificationof signs is not yet fully matured. I have been
at work upon it, or at least have kept it inmind since 1863, but still
confidently expect important improvements in it. If I live tocomplete it,
it will be the contribution to exact logic that has cost me the most labor,
andit will be recognized by exact logicians as a very positive and
indisputable contributionto exact logic even if I should leave it in its
present imperfect state. There remain manyhundreds of difficult questions
yet to be considered, though the majority of them havereceived an
examination which cannot justly be called careless or summary. Lest
itshould be suspected that I exaggerate in saying that there are many
hundred questionsI will say that the exact number, so far, is 205 billion
891132 million 94619. Butthese are not all independent. From the answers to
some the answers to others canbe deduced. The total number of really
independent and really difficult questions,requiring each some days of
laborious consideration is only 1073 million 741794. Sothat if I should
have the good fortune to live 82 or 83 million years longer I mighthope to
exhaust the subject. It is not to be expected that I should live long
enough toanswer them all with positive assurance"*

This gives rise to a little humility ...

Robert Marty
Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*