Helmut, List:

HR: For a theist God is the creator, for a pantheist the universe is, and
for an atheist chance and natural selection (evolution) is. I think that
Peirce was a pantheist or maybe panentheist, because he said, that the
universe has a quasi-mind.

As I have documented with exact quotations previously (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/msg00208.html), by his
own testimony Peirce was a theist, not a pantheist nor a panentheist. He
professed to believe that God is the real and personal creator of the
entire universe from nothing, such that the latter is neither identical to
God (pantheism) nor somehow within God (panentheism). To be clear, I am not
suggesting that one must likewise be a theist in order to be a Peircean
with respect to other aspects of his thought, just pointing out what his
own explicitly stated position on the relation between God and the universe
actually was.

A quasi-mind is a kind of sign, and Peirce maintained that the entire
universe is a sign--"a vast representamen, a great symbol of God's purpose,
working out its conclusions in living realities" (CP 5.119, EP 2:193,
1903). In accordance with his definition of a sign, this would require the
universe to be determined by a dynamical object that is external to it,
independent of it, and unaffected by it; and also to have a final
interpretant that it *would *determine under ideal circumstances, namely,
in the infinite future after infinite investigation by an infinite
community. What might these correlates be?

CSP: The starting-point of the universe, God the Creator, is the Absolute
First; the terminus of the universe, God completely revealed, is the
Absolute Second; every state of the universe at a measurable point of time
is the third. (CP 1.362, EP 1:251, 1887-8)

God the Creator is the dynamical object of the universe as a sign, and God
completely revealed is its final interpretant. In other words, God's purpose in
creating the universe is to reveal Himself more and more definitely.

CSP: The hypothesis of God is a peculiar one, in that it supposes an
infinitely incomprehensible object, although every hypothesis, as such,
supposes its object to be truly conceived in the hypothesis. This leaves
the hypothesis but one way of understanding itself; namely, as vague but as
true so far as it is definite, and as continually tending to define itself
more and more, and without limit. ... Thus, the hypothesis will lead to our
thinking of features of each Universe as purposed; and this will stand or
fall with the hypothesis. Yet a purpose essentially involves growth, and so
cannot be attributed to God. Still it will, according to the hypothesis, be
less false to speak so, than to represent God as purposeless. (CP 6.466, EP
2:439-440, 1908)

Since the growth associated with this purpose "cannot be attributed to
God," it must instead be attributed to the universe--specifically, the
growth of concrete reasonableness as the *summum bonum*, what esthetics
identifies as the only intrinsically admirable ideal. The corresponding
ethical imperative is to engage in sincere inquiry using methods that will
advance our knowledge of the universe as a sign and of God the Creator as
its dynamical object, and to cultivate habits of deliberate conduct
accordingly.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt