Jack, list,

A proof must resist all "If"s. Can it resist the following, quite weird "If"? There are evolution experiments with computers. Program parts with the ability to interact and to learn are implemented in a virtual, let´s say, matrix. If these program parts would develop an intelligence comparable to our´s, would they see, that they are just program parts consisting of ones and zeroes? Maybe not? And maybe we are such program parts? Maybe on a quantum computer? I hope not, but what if? Then nothing would be in itself, nothing would be real, all would be an illusion. Like the buddhists say, they like it that way, I don´t. But, by them, the suspicion is there. But might it be proven, if it was so, or disproven if it wasn´t?

Best

Helmut
Gesendet: Sonntag, 11. Juni 2023 um 16:29 Uhr
Von: "JACK ROBERT KELLY CODY" <jack.cody.2...@mumail.ie>
An: "Peirce-L" <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>, "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>, "s...@bestweb.net" <s...@bestweb.net>
Betreff: Re: [PEIRCE-L] [EXTERNAL] Objects and Perception (was God and the Universe (was The Thing In Itself))

There is no point in wasting time and paper (or electrons) in arguing about the details.
John, whilst I agree in spirit, I do think it is necessary in practice. For the details are categorically fundamental here.

That is, there either is an object which can be cognized as it is in itself, or there is an object in itself which can never be cognized as it is in itself.

I set myself the task, then, of proving the necessary inference that the object as it is in itself cannot be cognized (this was not something I had intended to do, it merely came, naturally, as it were, from a series of related, but not precisely the same, necessities [academic/personal).

I take the canon, as it were, then, as a structure. And it - the in itself - will either live or die by its necessity of explaining (necessarily) those core elements of the human sciences/arts which I am empirically setting about re-arranging. For example, poverty of stimulus, within an already extant analysis cannot be - insofar as I can see/logically prove - except that the thing in itself is (and that poverty of stimulus is, now, proven, to me, here, I mean, is not in doubt [within a Peircean assonant framework, too]).

Thus, I wish to avoid all bickering - honestly, and we are all perhaps guilty of that from time to time - but the minor details here are major categorical issues which explicate the very nuance which thus ignites the very realm of inquiry we all aspire to.

Best

Jack