Dear All,

This thread has attracted too many responses for me to save all of them.  But
Mihai Nadin cited intriguing experimental evidence that fruit flies "think"
before they act (copy below).   I also found a web site that says more:about
the experimental methods:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-05-22-fruit-flies-think-they-act . See excerpts
at the end of this note.

Ricardo Sanz> My initial question about the difference between "consciousness"
and "awareness" is still there.

The distinction between consciousness and awareness is very clear:  Awareness
can be detected by experimental methods, as in the experiments with fruit
flies.  Thinking (or some kind of mental processing) can be detected by a delay
between stimulus and response.  But nobody has found any experimental evidence
for consciousness, not even in humans.

We assume consciousness in our fellow humans because we all belong to the same
species.  But we have no way to detect consciousness in humans who have
suffered some kinds of neural impairment.   We suspect that animals that behave
like us may be conscious, but we don't know.   And there is zero evidence that
computer systems, whose circuitry is radically different from human brains can
be conscious.

Ricardo> I agree that "vagueness" is an essential, necessary aspect to be dealt
with. But it is not the central one. The central one is "the agent models its
reality".

Those are different topics.  A model of some subject (real or imaginary) is  a
structure of some kind (image, map, diagram, or physical system) that
represents important aspects of some subject.  Vagueness is a property of some
language or notation  that is derived from the model.   What is central depends
on the interests of some agent that is using the model and the language for
some purpose.

Furthermore, vagueness is not a problem "to be dealt with".  It's a valuable
property of natural language.  In my previous note, I mentioned three logicians
and scientists -- Peirce, Whitehead, and Wittgenstein -- who recognized that an
absolutely precise mathematical or logical statement is almost certain to be
false.  But a statement that allows some degree of error (vagueness) is much
more likely to be true and useful for communication and application.

Mathematical precision increases the probability that errors will be detected.
When the errors are found, they can be corrected/   But if no errors are found,
it's quite likely that nobody is using the theory for any practical purpose..

Jerry Chandler> You may wish to consider the distinctions between the
methodology of the chemical sciences from that of mathematics and whatever the
views of various “semantic” ontologies might project for quantification of
grammars by algorithms.

Chemistry is an excellent example of  the issues of precision and vagueness,
and it's the one in which Peirce learned many of his lessons about experimental
methodology.   Organic chemistry is sometimes called "the science of side
effects" because nearly every method for producing desired molecules will
produce a large number of unwanted molecules..  And minor variations in the
initial conditions may have a huge effect on the yield of the  desired
results.  Textbooks that describe the reactions tend to be vague about the
percentages because they can vary widely as the technology is developed..

Jerry> What are the formal logical relationships between the precision of the
atomic numbers as defined by Rutherford and logically deployed by Rutherford
and the syntax of a “formal ontology” in this questionable form of artificial
semantics?

For any subject of any kind, a good  ontology should be developed by a
collaboration of .experts in the subject matter with experts in developing and
using  ontologies.  The quality of an ontology would depend on the expertise of
both kinds of  experts.

Doug Foxvog>  Is there some kind of model of the external world in an insect
mind?  Sure -- the insect uses such model to find its way back "home".  But
does the insect have a model of its own mind?  Probably not.

A Tarski style model may be represented by predicates, functions, and names of
things in the subject matter and two kinds of logical operators:  conjunction
(AND) and the existential quantifier (There exists an x such that...).

For most  applications, subject matter experts typically add images and
diagrams.  For people, those images and diagrams make the model easier to
understand.   For formal analysis and computing, those images and diagrams
would  be mapped to predicates, functions, and names, which are related by
conjunctions and existentially quantified names.

Doug> We can create an ontology of models such that "mental model" could
designate either #$ModelOfExternalityInAMind or #$ModelOfOnesOwnMind.  These
would be different concepts.

If you consider minds as things in the world, this reduces to the previous
definition.  The psychologist Philip Johnson-Laird wrote a book and many
articles about mental models.  I cite him frequently in my writings, and I use
the term 'mental model' in the same sense as his publications.

Alex Shkotin> What relationship exists between consciousness and anticipatory
processes?

As Michai Nadin wrote, "None;"  I agree with his discussion and references.

Alex>  My concept of consciousness would be an awareness of part of one's
thoughts and ability to reason about it.

But that would only enable the researcher to detect his or her own
consciousness.  That method would be useless for a theory about non-human
animals or robots.

Alex>  def consciousness.  The ability to generate, modify, and use mental
models as the basis for perception, thought, action, and communication.

That definition would enable humans to develop theories about human
consciousness.  And they do that.  But it does not enable humans to observe and
develop theories about consciousness in any non-human things.

You might make a conjecture about consciousness in apes, since they are very
closely related to humans.  . You might extend that conjecture to other
animals, but you can't be certain.  And there is no way that you could extend
that conjecture to computer systems, which have no resemblance whatever to
human thinking processes.

From: "Nadin, Mihai" <na...@utdallas.edu>

Dear and respected colleagues,
Always impressed by the level of dialog between the two of you. Sometimes
amused, when the limits of knowledge are reached. Will only quote from a recent
publication (of course, I remain focused on anticipatory processes, a subject
which, so far, did not make it into your conversations):
Fruit flies 'think' before they act, a study by researchers from the University
of Oxford's Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour suggests. The
neuroscientists showed that fruit flies take longer to make more difficult
decisions.
In experiments asking fruit flies to distinguish between ever closer
concentrations of an odour, the researchers found that the flies don't act
instinctively or impulsively. Instead they appear to accumulate information
before committing to a choice.
Gathering information before making a decision has been considered a sign of
higher intelligence, like that shown by primates and humans.
'Freedom of action from automatic impulses is considered a hallmark of
cognition or intelligence,' says Professor Gero Miesenböck, in whose laboratory
the new research was performed. 'What our findings show is that fruit flies
have a surprising mental capacity that has previously been unrecognised.
___________________________________
Excerpts from   https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-05-22-fruit-flies-think-they-act

The researchers observed Drosophila fruit flies make a choice between two
concentrations of an odor presented to them from opposite ends of a narrow
chamber, having been trained to avoid one concentration.
When the odor concentrations were very different and easy to tell apart, the
flies made quick decisions and almost always moved to the correct end of the
chamber.
When the odour concentrations were very close and difficult to distinguish, the
flies took much longer to make a decision, and they made more mistakes.
The researchers found that mathematical models developed to describe the
mechanisms of decision making in humans and primates also matched the behaviour
of the fruit flies.
The scientists discovered that fruit flies with mutations in a gene called FoxP
took longer than normal flies to make decisions when odours were difficult to
distinguish – they became indecisive.
The researchers tracked down the activity of the FoxP gene to a small cluster
of around 200 neurons out of the 200,000 neurons in the brain of a fruit fly.
This implicates these neurons in the evidence-accumulation process the flies
use before committing to a decision.
Dr Shamik DasGupta, the lead author of the study, explains: 'Before a decision
is made, brain circuits collect information like a bucket collects water. Once
the accumulated information has risen to a certain level, the decision is
triggered. When FoxP is defective, either the flow of information into the
bucket is reduced to a trickle, or the bucket has sprung a leak.'
Fruit flies have one FoxP gene, while humans have four related FoxP genes.
Human FoxP1 and FoxP2 have previously been associated with language and
cognitive development. The genes have also been linked to the ability to learn
fine movement sequences, such as playing the piano.
'We don't know why this gene pops up in such diverse mental processes as
language, decision-making and motor learning,' says Professor Miesenböck.
However, he speculates: 'One feature common to all of these processes is that
they unfold over time. FoxP may be important for wiring the capacity to produce
and process temporal sequences in the brain.'
Professor Miesenböck adds: 'FoxP is not a "language gene", a "decision-making
gene", even a "temporal-processing" or "intelligence" gene. Any such
description would in all likelihood be wrong. What FoxP does give us is a tool
to understand the brain circuits involved in these processes. It has already
led us to a site in the brain that is important in decision-making.