Matias, List:

Although I cannot offer "any information that traces the history of this
problem" as requested, I can suggest Peirce's own explanation of it.

CSP: Deductions are of two kinds, which I call *corollarial *and
*theorematic*. The corollarial are those reasonings by which all
corollaries and the majority of what are called theorems are deduced; the
theorematic are those by which the major theorems are deduced. If you take
the thesis of a corollary,--i.e. the proposition to be proved, and
carefully analyze its meaning, by substituting for each term its
definition, you will find that its truth follows, in a straightforward
manner, from previous propositions similarly analyzed. But when it comes to
proving a major theorem, you will very often find you have need of a *lemma*,
which is a demonstrable proposition about something outside the subject of
inquiry; and even if a lemma does not have to be demonstrated, it is
necessary to introduce the definition of something which the thesis of the
theorem does not contemplate. (CP 7.204, 1901)

See also NEM 4:1-12 (1901), which begins with the second quotation below;
CP 4.233 (1902), where Peirce proposes that "corollarial, or
'philosophical' reasoning is reasoning with words; while theorematic, or
mathematical reasoning proper, is reasoning with specially constructed
schemata"; and especially CP 4.612-616 (1908), where he discusses at length
"the step of so introducing into a demonstration a new idea not explicitly
or directly contained in the premisses of the reasoning or in the condition
of the proposition which gets proved by the aid of this introduction,"
which he calls "a theoric step." As he writes in another contemporaneous
manuscript ...

CSP: Everybody knows that mathematics, which covers all necessary
reasoning, is as far as possible from being purely mechanical work; that it
calls for powers of generalization in comparison with which all others are
puny, that it requires an imagination which would be poetical were it not
so vividly detailed, and above all that it demands invention of the
profoundest. There is, therefore, no room to doubt that there is *some *theoric
reasoning, something unmechanical, in the business of mathematics. I hope
that, before I cease to be useful in this world, I may be able to define
better than I now can what the distinctive essence of theoric thought is. I
can at present say this much with some confidence. It is the directing of
the attention to a sort of object not explicitly referred to in the
enunciation of the problem in hand. (NEM 3:622, 1908)

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt