Matias, List:

In the quoted passage, Peirce suggests "that there are two kinds
of deductive reasoning, which *might, perhaps*, be called explicatory
and ampliative" (emphases mine). However, he immediately adds that "no
mathematical reasoning is what would be commonly understood by ampliative,"
and goes on to say that "Kant's characterization of all deductive
reasoning" as *strictly *explicative is also incorrect. He ultimately
proposes instead calling "the two kinds of deduction *corollarial *and
*theorematic*" (emphases in original).

MAS: Why did Peirce claim that his own studies on the logic of polyadic
relations did not yet fully explain mathematical reasoning?

He states in the quoted passage, "These studies [of the logic of polyadic
relations] threw a great deal of light upon logic; but still they did not
really explain mathematical reasoning, until I opened up the subject of
abstraction." He elaborates elsewhere, as follows.

CSP: Another characteristic of mathematical thought is the extraordinary
use it makes of abstractions. ...
Look through the modern logical treatises, and you will find that they
almost all fall into one or other of two errors, as I hold them to be; that
of setting aside the doctrine of abstraction (in the sense in which an
abstract noun marks an abstraction) as a grammatical topic with which the
logician need not particularly concern himself; and that of confounding
abstraction, in this sense, with that operation of the mind by which we pay
attention to one feature of a percept to the disregard of others. The two
things are entirely disconnected. The most ordinary fact of perception,
such as "it is light," involves *precisive *abstraction, or *prescission*. But
*hypostatic *abstraction, the abstraction which transforms "it is light"
into "there is light here," which is the sense which I shall commonly
attach to the word abstraction (since *prescission *will do for precisive
abstraction) is a very special mode of thought. It consists in taking a
feature of a percept or percepts (after it has already been prescinded from
the other elements of the percept), so as to take propositional form in a
judgment (indeed, it may operate upon any judgment whatsoever), and in
conceiving this fact to consist in the relation between the subject of that
judgment and another subject, which has a mode of being that merely
consists in the truth of propositions of which the corresponding concrete
term is the predicate. ... Abstractions are particularly congenial to
mathematics. Everyday life first, for example, found the need of that class
of abstractions which we call *collections*. Instead of saying that some
human beings are males and all the rest females, it was found convenient to
say that mankind consists of the male *part *and the female *part*. The
same thought makes classes of collections, such as pairs, leashes,
quatrains, hands, weeks, dozens, baker's dozens, sonnets, scores, quires,
hundreds, long hundreds, gross, reams, thousands, myriads, lacs, millions,
milliards, milliasses, etc. These have suggested a great branch of
mathematics. Again, a point moves: it is by abstraction that the geometer
says that it "describes a line." This line, though an abstraction, itself
moves; and this is regarded as generating a surface; and so on. So
likewise, when the analyst treats operations as themselves subjects of
operations, a method whose utility will not be denied, this is another
instance of abstraction. Maxwell's notion of a tension exercised upon lines
of electrical force, transverse to them, is somewhat similar. These
examples exhibit the great rolling billows of abstraction in the ocean of
mathematical thought; but when we come to a minute examination of it, we
shall find, in every department, incessant ripples of the same form of
thought, of which the examples I have mentioned give no hint. (CP
4.234-235, 1902)

He also says later in the manuscript that you quoted, "Theorematic
reasoning, at least the most efficient of it, works by abstraction; and
derives its power from abstraction" (NEM 4:11, 1901). In an alternate
version of the same text, he says that "it is necessary to introduce the
definition of something which the *thesis *of the theorem does not
contemplate. In the most remarkable cases, this is some abstraction; that
is to say, a subject whose existence *consists *in some fact about other
things. Such, for example, are operations considered as in themselves
subject to operation; *lines*, which are nothing but descriptions of the
motion of a particle, considered as being themselves movable; *collections*;
*numbers*; and the like" (EP 2:96, 1901).

MAS: Additionally, I do not fully understand the relation between the
notion of theorematic deduction and Peirce's thesis about the diagrammatic
character of all deduction.

I refer you again to CP 4.233 (1902) and CP 4.612-616 (1908), the first of
which includes the following explanation.

CSP: Just now, I wish to point out that after the schema has been
constructed according to the precept virtually contained in the thesis, the
assertion of the theorem is not evidently true, even for the individual
schema; nor will any amount of hard thinking of the philosophers’
corollarial kind ever render it evident. Thinking in general terms is not
enough. It is necessary that something should be DONE. In geometry,
subsidiary lines are drawn. In algebra permissible transformations are
made. Thereupon, the faculty of observation is called into play. Some
relation between the parts of the schema is remarked. But would this
relation subsist in every possible case? Mere corollarial reasoning will
sometimes assure us of this. But, generally speaking, it may be necessary
to draw distinct schemata to represent alternative possibilities.
Theorematic reasoning invariably depends upon experimentation with
individual schemata.

In short, "A Theorematic Deduction is one which, having represented the
conditions of the conclusion in a diagram, performs an ingenious experiment
upon the diagram, and by the observation of the diagram, so modified,
ascertains the truth of the conclusion" (EP 2:298, 1903). Daniel Campos
offers a thorough explanation of this in his 2010 book chapter, "The
Imagination and Hypothesis-Making in Mathematics: A Peircean Account" (
https://www.academia.edu/373131/The_Imagination_and_Hypothesis-Making_in_Mathematics_A_Peircean_Account),
presenting Peirce's own example of Euclid's Fifth Proposition (*Pons
Asinorum*) as an illustrative example. A book chapter that I recently
co-authored with Joseph Dauben and List moderator Gary Richmond, "Peirce on
Abduction and Diagrams in Mathematical Reasoning" (
https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-03945-4_25), might also provide further
clarification.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt