John, list

I wouldn’t say that the Interpretants are a muddled uselessness.I think they
play a vital role.  I think, however,  that attempting  to find exact and
singular meanings of terms is not very functional.

I use Peirce primarily for analysis of both biological and societal systems -

I find him extremely perceptive, above all, with his analysis of the
Categories- The reality of ‘modes of Being’  is extremely difficult to find in
other scientific  or philosophical outlines - ie - Most analyses of ‘matter’
view it as almost inert ‘stuff’ and focuses more on mechanical interactions or
puzzles over quantum ‘weirdness’. But - to outline concepts of ‘feeling’ [ and
even protoplasm feels]; the concept of reaction - and - the concept of habit
formation - all three categories found as universal - I personally find this
very functional in explaining both biological systems and societal systems. .

Then - I find his focus on the multiple nodal sites of the semiotic process to
be useful; and I view semiotic processes as operative in all of matter, both
physical and biological and in societal systems. That is, I full yagree with
Peirce’s view that the whole universe is composed of signs [plural]; and
indeed, is a vast semiosic process.

So- I find the hexadic semiosic process very useful: that is, the interactional
information functionality of an external relation of the sign vehicle  to its
environment [ which relation becomes the Dynamic Object]. And then, the
internal nature of the dats from this DO - which is commonly quite different
from the ‘full nature’ of the DO - ie, the Immediate Object. Then, the
Representamen as mediation. Accepting the input data and analyzing it.

And then- the three Interpretants - with the Internal Interpretant as the
individual’s local subjective reaction; the external - or Dynamic Interpretent
as the Individual’s more objective reaction…and finally - the acknowledgment by
Peirce that there could be a commonly developed interpretation of these
stimuli.  That is - the role of the individual within the community.

And of course, all of these ’nodes’ can also function within the three
categories, which increases the complexity of the semiosic function.

- I DO see a very vital role for the Interpretants. ..in enabling deviation
from the data of the Dynamic Object - and enabling adaptation of the sign
vehicle and the development of new Habits [held within the representamen of the
sign-vehicle. ].   That is - the fact that there are three interepetants,
moving from the immediate local perception of the input data , to an external
objective result [ does the effect of the input data as expressed...have any
functional result? ..and then..on to the larger collective result - does this
function to CHANGE THE HABITS OF THE REPRESENTAMEN?

Edwina